Carpet underlay - Cloud 9 ?

Hi,

Anyone any pros or cons about the Cloud 9 range? I am going to be laying carpet shortly and am looking for a good but cheapish underlay. I have previously paid for good quality rubber underlay but Cloud 9 has this beaten on price and some seem to rave about it.

Regards,

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Had some in use for about 3 - 4 years now. Still seems to do the job and has not lost its bounce in high traffic areas. Easy to move about and lay, and reasonable price. Certainly seems better than the rubber waffle stuff. Probably not as good (from a feel point of view or acoustically) as the top end crumb rubber. So on balance I would use it again.

Reply to
John Rumm

I had a good underlay in my lounge which gave a great feel - but the castors on my settees caused permanent dents - I expect the 'give' in the underlay caused the backing of the carpet to stretch and maybe fail.

Will go for top end rubber in future.

Reply to
John

In article , Geoff writes

I'm yet to be convinced on Cloud 9, I feel it is being hyped a bit. I chose traditional felt underlay (on Victorian gapped & warped boards) and am happy with it but the choice cost me a bit extra.

Reply to
fred

I bought a Brinton Axminster carpet last year, and asked Brinton's advice. Their first choice was normally rubberised felt, but since we'd had carpet moth problems previously, they suggested Cloud 9 instead. They warned against excessively soft underlays, because they allow the carpet to stretch too far under concentrated loads, and against excessively thick ones, for the same reason plus the problem of it coming off the grippers.

I went for Cloud 9 Contract, which iirc is 8mm thick, and will shortly be after another four rolls of it, or similar, for a place I'm working on. The waffle underlay that would have been "free" with the mid-range tufted carpet chosen was rubbish.

Reply to
Autolycus

There are at least 4 different grades of Cloud 9 depending on the thickness so it depends which grade of Cloud 9 you are comparing price-wise with other types of underlay. Normally a carpet supplier will recommend which grade of Cloud 9 is suitable for the type of carpet and the amount of traffic/type of room. As for good but cheapish, try eBay. But beware of buying Cloud 9 on eBay, some of it is seconds but not advertised as such - check with the seller beforehand that they are not selling factory rejects.

Reply to
DIY

We've got quite a lot of this in the house and it's very good. Plenty of 'spring' and showing no sign of this reducing.

Be careful though, Cloud 9 isn't just one product as is often imagined: you need to get the correct thickness for your application.