Carpet underlay 9mm or 11mm

I've decided to use Cloud 9 underlay for a room I'm about to get carpeted. It's between Cirrus which is 9mm and Cumulus which is 11mm. I'd prefer to use the 11mm underlay but have read that because of its thickness it has to dip down to attach to the grippers and can look strange.

Anyone used Cloud 9 Cumulus underlay or similar 11mm stuff?

Cheers

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Don't forget you've also read (from the same source: me) that at least one manufacturer, Brintons, says that 11mm is too thick because it deflects too much under concentrated loads, leading to non-elastic stretching of the carpet.

I'm happy with Cloud 9 Contract, from

, whose service was excellent.

Reply to
Autolycus

Hi Kevin, yes you were one of the sources, I also read it on-line after you had mentioned it.

11mm does seem slightly thick but if it were creating problems I wonder why a few manufacturers are going with it now! I've just measured an old piece of B&Q's 5 star waffle underlay I have throughout the rest of the house and it looks to be about 11mm.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

What use room? Bedroom I'd go for the 11mm for nice softy comfort under bare feet. Living room or similar use area 9mm, enough to provide comfort but not to squidgy.

I think it was cumulus I used in a couple of bedrooms very pleased. Easy to lay, light weight and clean.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just while we're on the subject, what the hell is APT that they refer to ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Advanced polymer technology!! Only found that out by chance after your post.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

A special type of underlay that tilts, rather violently at times, and concentrates all power in the middle of the house so that you need two kitchens and two sets of servants.

Anyone else remember P-trains?

Reply to
Autolycus

I recently had some new carpets fitted and the guy in the store told me 11mm was OK providing there wasn't to be a joint in the carpet (both room dimensions exceeding 4mtrs). If there was to be a join he strongly recommended nothing thicker than 9mm as the thicker stuff can subject the join to excessive strain.

Kinda makes sense to me.

Reply to
1501

Ta - doesn't tell us much then :-}

Anyone know what Cloud9 is made of then, as I seem to have come across descriptions ranging from waffle to shredded tyres :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Not sure but here is the manufacturers website

Steven Campbell