Carpet fitting - felt backed

I have a 3m x 4m bedroom to carpet at a relatively low cost.

I'm looking at a "heavy domestic" quality felt backed carpet at around £8 square metre (a better quality than the felt backed carpet the same retailer sells for 2/3 of that price).

I'm aware that this type of carpet can be fitted without an underlay and stuck down around the edges. However the floor in this room (1900 build) has gaps between the floor boards an is slightly uneven.

I'm NOt going to start taking up the boards to re-position them to eliminate the gaps of up to 5mm wide.

I have a enough cloud 7 11mm underlay that has been lying around for the past 2/3 years that I can use. I'm thinking of using this under the carpet either stapled down or glued down.

Has anyone had any experience with this arrangement.

I'm assuming that the underlay is fitted to the wall (no border gap) and the felt backed carpet glued at the edges to this. Traditional grippers are not used with felt backed carpets.

Felt backed seems to be the modern equivalent of foam backed carpets.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes I have three rooms with foam backed and am dreading the day it has to come up. Already there are hard mounds appearing suggesting its decomposed. I'd hope the felt they use now is not such a problem with age and does not end up as dust. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't think any underlay will deal with 5pp gaps.

If you don't want to hardboard the floor, fill the gaps with some form of wood filler.

I think the carpet will need to be tacked or stapled down to the floor, as glueing to the underlay means both layers of the sandwich will curl up.

But I'm not a carpet fitter.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

use old newspaper, dampend to fill the gaps. That's what was done by the previous owners of this house.

Reply to
charles

Yes, I carpeted two bedrooms with cheap felt-backed carpet about 10 years ago. I too used cloud underlay (cloud 9 in my case) which I stapled to the floor. I stapled lining paper to the floorboards first, under that.

I did use gripperrods all round the edge of the room, which worked fine with the felt-backed carpet.

The finished job looked and felt great - quite sumptuous, especially given the negligible cost of the carpet :)

Reply to
David

Felt backed is indeed the modern day rubber backed, designed to not need un derlay. The usual solution to gaps is to line the floor with 3mm hardboard.

If you do use underlay, the best way is to fit grip rods. The underlay sits within the grippers, it doesn't go to the wall. There is then no advantage to the felt backing, you can just as well use unpadded carpet.

You can economise by using old carpet as underlay. It voids guarantees but I've not run into any problem doing this. Just ensure it's cleaned & doesn' t whiff.

Glue or tacks instead of grip rods does work, but not as well and isn't wor th the trivial saving. And tacks can hit pipes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The normal practice is to nail down thin ply or hardboard on the floorboard s first.

Reply to
harry

I have used Cloud 9 under felt back. Grippers work ok, although the ones with the slightly longer nails sometimes work better.

Reply to
John Rumm

The last carpet left from when we bought this house in for the chop shortly.

It's got moths in it.

(Apparently they like dirty one better than clean...)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Further reading:

Without an underlay just glue down around the edges

With underlay use gripper rods BUT not the kind with spikes but the kind that have a microplast tape which have tiny mushrooms or discs and act similar to velcro on the felt backing.

There are also microplast plus spike gripper rods for fitting felt carpet to stairs however in the retailer I visited the description for each of the felt backed carpets had a line that said that they didn't recommend this type of carpet for stairs.

Reply to
alan_m

Any carpets fitted with an underlay should be fitted with griper Road around the outsides of the room. The gap you will need to use will vary depending on the thickness of your carpet. I've been fitting for 18 years and on average I use about a 4mm gap around all outer edges to allow for the carpet to tuck into. Underlay should always be cut up to the inside edge of the gripper rods. It is correct that felt backed carpets can be fitted without using gripper rods straight to the floor with adhesive, the same as the old foam backed carpets used to. You may find if you get a fitter that knows what he's doing they will be able to fit the underlay tight to the walls only allowing the same tucking gap you would allow using gripper rods and sticking the carpet to the underlay the same way you would if you were sticking it to the floorboards, stretching and tucking it the same way as if it was fitted on gripper rods, however this method, although reasonably effective, is not the correct way to do it. When I say sticking, I mean using a spray adhesive designed for textile products. The underlay, providing its being fitted in a domestic area, should be fixed using either spray adhesive or staples dependant on whether the sub floor is concrete or wood. Underlay would only need to be fully glued to the floor if the carpets being fitted are either of the natural variety, which would also need to be glued to the underlay (durafitting) using other much stronger glues, or any carpets that are being fitted in a commercial setting, areas of particular high traffic, or areas where people may be using walking aids or wheelchairs. The underlay used in those settings will be specific for those kind of commercial settings anyway.

Hessian/action backed carpets - need gripper and underlay

Felt backed carpets - can be fitted straight to the floor using spray adhesive as a gripping agent, or fitted on underlay with gripper rods

For any gaps in the floor unfortunately unless boarded out, you will literally be papering over the cracks and any imperfection over time will start to show through. Much quicker when fitted without an underlay. If it is only gaps and not un even, I would recommend using some hardboard/eucalyptus board to hide any discrepancies, however if the floor is particularly bad with gaps and some uneven boards. Some 6mm plywood may be the better option

Reply to
jay

Moths like wall carpets. The man made polypropylene carpets don't have this trouble. Chances are the last carpet was or at least contained some wool

Reply to
jay

As an aside, carpet with felt underlay seems to be very durable, compared with other types with underlay glued to it, be it foam or some fibrous material. Sadly I had, a few years ago, a plague of the common Carpet Beetles. The first I knew about it was window sills all round the house covered in dead ones who had failed to get out of the house while I was in bed, to mate. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa