felt back carpet.

Is this carpet any good? They say it will take hard wear but looks quite "frail".

Reply to
raclyqm

It's much superior to the foam-backed stuff, anyway. It is normally glued down, but:

It *will* take hard wear, but is always better over underlay. The best underlay is the felt-type stuff, too. It'n not often seen, but is certainly available from carpet shops other than Carper Rote and other big retailers who are interested in standardisation. You want 42oz I should think, probably around =A33.5 a metre. Using underlay is much better, you won't get "tramlines" so easily, your carpet will last longer. Felt underlay will also outlast your carpet, unlike rubber which is unlikely to do so. I guess your felt-backed carpet is about =A36-7/metre, so you will be looking at about =A311/metre overall.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

This depends upon what you mean by superior. In the flat I am selling there is a room with a foam back and two rooms that have just had felt back put down. The foam back is much more comfortable to walk on.

To me this defeats the object of buying felt back. Hessian backed carpet is available at the same price as felt backed so if you're going to underlay why buy felt backed?

Tim

The best underlay is the felt-type stuff, too. It'n not often seen, but is certainly available from carpet shops other than Carper Rote and other big retailers who are interested in standardisation. You want 42oz I should think, probably around £3.5 a metre. Using underlay is much better, you won't get "tramlines" so easily, your carpet will last longer. Felt underlay will also outlast your carpet, unlike rubber which is unlikely to do so. I guess your felt-backed carpet is about £6-7/metre, so you will be looking at about £11/metre overall.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
tim

Foam back might be nicer to walk on, but longevity is crap. Been here

10 years, carpet worn out after 2-3 years. It's now got no pile in the through-ways, and is showing threads in several places. No way would I use foam backed unless substantial underlay was also used - even then I think I'd pay for a non-foam backing.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet