Re-stretching carpet

A water-leak in a bathroom got a 3-ft by 8-ft section of a wall-to- wall carpet in an adjoining bedroom wet.

I've pulled the damp section of carpet off the tack strips, removed the pad and wooden tack-strips.

I then draped the damp section of the carpet over two folding chairs and used a fan to dry the carpet and the cement slab.

Now that everything is dry, I've put the pad back down and installed new wooden tack-strips. Now I need to re-lay the carpet.

How do I stretch the carpet and secure it to the tack-strips so the carpet is tight and lays flat on the floor?

(I don't want to buy or rent a carpet-stretcher because only a 3-ft by

8-ft section of carpet is involved).
Reply to
gary

gary wrote: ...

You'll have to improvise something to use as a knee-kicker for the direction with sides against two walls. At the door you may be able to improvise some sort of clamping system to stretch.

Simplest is still probably to go rent a kicker. Agree you don't need a full-blown stretcher, but it's a pita to try to stretch carpet w/o a decent tool (and I don't have many ideas on an easy-to-improvise-out-of-stuff-everybody-would-have alternative). I can see using one of the heavy curry combs and mounting it but can't think of much else in the toolbox that is likely to work well. I guess one could start w/ a couple of scraps of lumber and put some drywall screws through protruding just enough and cobble up something that could work for such a small area, though, now that I think a little longer...

Reply to
dpb