Alternative to spray foam for filling gaps?

Is there a weatherstripping type product I can push into the gap at the bottom of a wall to prevent drafts?

I'm looking to avoid spray foam because it's a finished area with carpet that would not clean up easily.

tia, Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Maloney

Duct seal is good for small openings.

John Grabowski

Spray foam, does not really spray like paint, it comes out like a whipped cream can. So it only goes where you want it more or less, unless you are firing it all over. Sometimes it drips. To protect the carpet you lay down a drop cloth, plastic sheet or newspapers and possibly mask the wall with the same stuff taped on to protect finished areas.

Reply to
EXT

Seems like caulk would be far simpler, taking care to shield the edge of the carpet. "Backer rod", a foam molded rope, is used to fill larger gaps and provide a bridge for the caulk.

Reply to
Norminn

Even pull back the carpet, if possible for a section of wall. Caulk it and stretch the section of carpet back. MMV

Reply to
Oren

Bubble wrap from items shipped through the mail. Can be had from Ebay packages, or purchased at the office supplies store. Good insulator, and can be cut to size with scissors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have taken the point of a shim and shoved little pieces of insulation in the cracks. I did this in large cracks at my cabin, because on matter how careful you were with the foam, you would get some on something, and it would always foam out, and the trimmed stuff looked horrible. But I would try to leave a little space to caulk, so you have it weather tight and bug proof.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB