Spray insulation / insulating foam?

Yellowish in color???? If so then you will probably not like the prices of getting the stuff yourself. I have had foam sprayed into block walls before that worked well. Problem with foam is the "good stuff" is a two part mixture and requires equipment that is expensive for a single use.

I suggest you contact some local contractors and have them bid the job.

In lew of that try this site. Do the math carefully. The site is mostly board feet not cubic feet.

You will quickly notice that the price does not change very much. ~a dollar per board foot.

Is there any reason that you can not just stuff fiberglass into the areas and use some spray adhesive? Most of the heat goes up anyway.

Reply to
SQLit

Does anyone know about any decent SPRAY insulation that would stick to surfaces such as fiberglass?

I'm thinking about something like "Great Stuff" in consistencyt but something which is meant to cover a broader area instead of just filling cracks and small crevices.

The application I'm intending is to spray the underside of a fiberglass hot tub which most of the insulation has fallen off of. It appears that the original foam on the bottom of this tub was initially sprayed on by some method.

Other ideas to apply insulation to this tub are likewise appreciated.

Reply to
Apropos

Thanks for the suggestions.

However... compared to the prices of having a pro bid the job or buying some kits of that price, I might as well try buying up to a dozen large cans of Great Stuff and blob it all around the bottom of the tub.

This is a small home job and I only need to get foam perhaps 1"-2" all around the bottom of the tub (water areas only) which is no more than 35-50 sqft. The way Great Stuff expands I could easily get 3 sqft per can... (maybe a lot more than that) - it's just a pain to apply that way since it doesn't SPRAY.

I'm looking for some expanding foam I could buy in spray cans.

Reply to
Apropos

Thanks. Overall, it appears there are so many curves and pipes that making some kind of framework would be quite tough unless I wanted to use a VERY large amount of foam, essentially encasing the pipes and all within.

What I'm starting to think, seeing the prices of the fire rated foam, is to do similar to what you said; get some 1" or 2" sheets of insulation to apply to the straightest sections to help flesh out the bulk, and effectively buttering them on using the Great Stuff. Even SOME countours could be worked around by cutting smaller pieces of foam sheet and once again applying Great Stuff between.... that way I get a lot of insulation without having to build it up with Great Stuff only.

Great stuff, that "Great Stuff" :D

Reply to
Apropos

I've never seen home use stuff in spray cans, but it may exist. Is there a way of making a partition to hold the foam? If you were to take a piece of plywood, cover it in polyethylene sheet as a release agent, then block it in place near the tub and leave a gap of say 2", then inject the foam. After it sets up, move the board to the next spot.

You may also want to consider using some sheets of insulating foam on any flat areas and using the spray stuff on the contours between.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There is a two part spray foam available to the public. No special tools required. Comes with aplicator gun and spray tips. (fan and straight pattern tips) Its pricey, about $350.00-400.00 for the kit. Contains two 20lb bottles. It will insulate ALOT of area. Its used by refrigerated semi trailers too insulate walls. We get ours from Utility Trailer. (brand of semi trailer "Utility") I'll get the makers name of froth pack (what Utility calls it) at work tomorrow. Regards J.R.

Reply to
dilligaf

There is a two part spray foam available to the public. No special tools required. Comes with aplicator gun and spray tips. (fan and straight pattern tips) Its pricey, about $350.00-400.00 for the kit. Contains two 20lb bottles. It will insulate ALOT of area. Its used by refridgerated semi trailers too insulate walls. We get ours from Utility Trailer. (brand of semi trailer "Utility") I'll get the makers name of froth pack (what Utility calls it) at work tomorrow. Regards J.R.

Reply to
dilligaf

I use these guys for foam

Slumlord