spray paint foam?

No, I don't mean spray pointing foam, I'm trying to find foam that sprays thin like spray paint. I need to apply such foam in thin coatings over a large area. The gap filler and similar type spray foams wouldn't do the job. Thanks.

Reply to
Jake T

Maybe if we had a better idea of what you were trying to accomplish we could help.

Is it just that insulation type foams won't spray in a thin film or is that you don't want to use insulating type foams, period?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Does it have to be a spray? Would thin sheets work?

Marilyn Manson

If you mean the foam like they shoot on the wall, you can get it in fairly small disposable sprayers but it is still a couple gallons. This stuff sprays like paint and grows on the wall. The gun isn't fancy but it is all you need.

Reply to
gfretwell

It doesn't sound like this is what you're after but triple thick paint is available. There are also paint thickeners on the market.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Sounds like what they use for fireproofing insulation.

Reply to
TimR

Well, I recently made a parabolic microphone to monitor wildlife near me. I made it out of an old umbrella, which I lined with aluminum tape on the inside to better reflect the sound (the sound would have otherwise gone right through the umbrella and not reflected). Now, I'd like to firm up the umbrella's top side, which is still fabric, but I also need something that stops sound. My idea was to spray paint foam on the top. If I used the thick gap filler foam, it would start making imprints in the umbrella which would affect the way it picks up and directs sound. I also couldn't try spreading it as even that would affect umbrella shape.

Reply to
Jake T

The foam pads I suggested in another post could be cut to size to fit the umbrella panels and seam together neatly.

They come in different sizes and thicknesses. Most are peel-and-stick but you could enhance that with contact cement of spray adhesive.

Marilyn Manson

Spray it with several coats of poly urethane. That will stiffen it up. Take your time, let each coat dry and lay on another until it gets as stiff as you want. Two part epoxy paint would work too if you have a way to shoot it. Thin with xylene.

Reply to
gfretwell

Or fiberglass resin, just brush it on.

Reply to
trader_4

He said he also needs something that "stops sound".

Some research into the attenuation properties of spray-on polyurethane and fiberglass resin vs. some of the adhesive foam pads should be done - specific to his situation of course.

I wonder what kind of balance he wants between "firming up" and attenuation.

Some fiberglass mat would sure firm it up. Maybe a combination of both, fiberglass mat and then adhesive foam over that.

Of course, if you add too much material of any kind, you run the risk of damage to the umbrella's frame, depending on the type used.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

He really means "reflects sound" Commercial shotgun mikes like you see on the sidelines of an NFL game are made from Lexan. We used to make parabolic mikes using dish sleds (aluminum).

Reply to
gfretwell

The shotgun microphones work different than the parabolic types. The shotgun is made of parallel tubes each one slightly shorter than the next and the actual mic element is behind the tubes . The parabolic reflects the sound to a point in front of the dish just like the satellite TV antennas do .

The old aluminum sleds made good parabolic reflectors. some larger aluminum mixing bowels would work on a large scale. Maybe some of the TV dishes would work ok now. Never tried any of those.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I wonder if starting over with a small satellite dish would be better than using an umbrella.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

It may be. However most use an offset feed point and you will have to compensate for that as you aim the dish amd mount the mic.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I know a guy that we call "Shotgun Mike". ;-) Of course, the OP's not asking about a shotgun mic (which I'm pretty sure aren't made of Lexan) but in any case...

He may actually mean "blocks sound" as in blocks sound coming in from

*behind* the mic. I guess that could be considered "reflection" but he may be talking about "blocking it" from interfering with what he really want's the mic to pick up.

In fact, he specifically used the word "reflect" when talking about the foil tape, then switched to "block" when he asked about covering the top side of the umbrella. Until he tells us otherwise, I'll hang on to my interpretation of "block". ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

We work with what we have. ;-)

"Dammit...I'm gonna make this work no matter what it takes!"

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

OK my bad I assumed it was the hand held ~12" parabolic ones you see.

Reply to
gfretwell

I played with my old DSS dish after I stopped that service and it does work. Take the LNA off and mount a mike. You have to play around with the focus a little tho. The old dish sled works great.

Reply to
gfretwell

I used the existing arm.

Not really having a need for it I didn't mess with it much other than the proof of concept. I was really more interested in using the dish for WiFi to a camera but the HOA changed their mind about a camera at the boat ramp.

Reply to
gfretwell