Floorboards and underlay

I'm about to replace a load of carpets in my house any have some 9mm Cloud 9 Cirrus underlay to put down. However, on pulling up the old carpet and underlay, there is a layer of thin ply on top of the floorboards. Any ideas why it's there and should I leave it?

Gaps between the floor boards are reasonable - was thinking of taping them up with masking tape or similar. Perhaps this is why the ply is there (only in the hall though it seems)?

al

In article , al writes

Stops draughts and levels up old, uneven boards. I use hardboard for the same purpose and have it under any new carpets. I also use old style felt underlay, more of a natural product I feel, but am having difficulty finding it in bulk/cheap.

Taping is probably more work than laying ply or hardboard and doesn't have the smoothing effect, if you need that.

Reply to
fred

It's better, too, and when I last bought some, cheaper. A google + use of the telephone finds suppliers. The reason it is not fitted more often is that carpet fitters far prefer rubber/foam/etc.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Just gone through the loop again and all appear to be about 4quid a metre, which I think is about that same as my local carpet shop charged me so little saving. Plenty of people selling foam, few doing felt. Few doing discount for roll quantities over cut lengths so something must be wrong. Will work harder at it (phone/net) when ready for my next buy.

Any recommended suppliers or typical prices for 5-6 roll qtys?

Reply to
fred