Cloud 9 carpet underlay: experiences

I visited a local carpet shop at the weekend, pricing up a new lounge carpet.

The salesman was pushing Cloud 9 underlay.

I've always had conventional "rubber waffle" underlay in the past. What are the advantages, if any, of this new-fangled Cloud 9 (good name!). Or is Cloud 9 overkill for a lounge carpet. The carpet itself will be a =A320 per sq m. Wilton-clone panel design.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Cloud 9 comes in 7mm (Nimbus), 9mm (Cirrus) and 11mm (Cumulus) depths.

We've put Cloud9 Cirrus everywhere in our place including bedrooms, I can definately recommend it and wouldn't go back to traditional underlays. Not overkill for a lounge carpet, quite the opposite in fact though I would say that the 11mm version might be a bit too soft, 9mm feels about right to me.

We saved ourselves a packet by picking the underlay up from

There are now also good deals to be had on Ebay, particularly if you are ordering a few rolls.

There's a small amount of info on the company website:

MH

Reply to
Mary Hinge

Aye, had the boys bedroom done with Cirrus and it's really rather nice, under carpet costing =A320/sq m ish. With decent carpet you really= don't want to skimp on the underlay, it really does help prolong the carpets life.

I'm now in the process of doing another bedroom, with Cirrus also bought from

Ordering was a simple on the web and the stuff arrived a few days later. Around =A3150 for a box a gripper strip and 2 rolls of Cirrus. I see they are now doing half rolls.

Cirrus is easy to handle and cut and a damn sight lighter than the rubber stuff. It is also not supposed to end up as bucket loads of black sand in 10 years time as well. Gripper strip and underlay was a doddle, now doing battle with fitting the carpet. Not sure yet if I'll tackle carpet fitting again or get someone in, the trimming is the hard bit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The salesman was pushing Cloud 9 underlay.

I've always had conventional "rubber waffle" underlay in the past. What are the advantages, if any, of this new-fangled Cloud 9 (good name!). Or is Cloud 9 overkill for a lounge carpet. The carpet itself will be a £20 per sq m. Wilton-clone panel design.

Bruce

It's well worth it to make the carpet feel really expensive. I'd recommend it fully. We have it under a cheap bedroom carpet and it makes the room feel really warm and cosy.

Reply to
BigWallop