Carpet over existing green underlay boards (previously used for laminate)?

We have a bedroom (in a Victorian terrace) which has currently got laminate flooring in lay on top of 8/9mm green underlay boards. For various reasons we would like to now carpet this room and having taken up the laminate I see that the green underlay boards are doing a very good job of covering some of the larger gaps between the floorboards as well as providing a much smoother surface than the otherwise (slightly) undulating floor (I've seen worse, however there are some noticable edges to some of the floorboards).

My question is this: Are there any reasons why I couldn't/shouldn't keep these green boards down and lay underlay and carpet on top of them? In addition to providing a gap-free surface (they're well butted up wall-to-wall - so much so you can barely see the joins) I thought it may also help slightly as an acoustic barrier?

I initially had reservations that the carpet may end up being a bit too spongy (I once rented a room that had at least three carpets laid on top of each other - it was like walking on a bouncy castle) however the green boards are fairly hard or at least they don't noticably compress underfoot. Other problems may include the length of the nails on the gripper rods (can also whack in longer ones though) and/or the carpet may benefit from a more 'secure' surface (however I would've thought the actual underlay would negate that anyway).

Can the panel offer their thoughts on this plan?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Put a £1 coin on the board and stand on it with one leg. If you see a mark, they are too soft, cover them in hardboard.

Why didn't you leave the laminate down?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Probably read "Grunffs" bit on not laying carpet on Laminate. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I think that a coin leaving a mark is a given. What's actually wrong with that level of softness? The bouncy castle effect?

I'd assumed that was just not the thing to do... Have now read the recent thread on laying carpet over laminate (I didn't spot it until the Earl of Derby mentioned it) perhaps I should've done!

Hmm... I wonder how much of a headache relaying the laminate would be? Obviously no cutting required however getting the right cut pieces in the right places could be fun!

So, notwithstanding the caution expressed in the aforementioned thread, do you think putting the laminate back is a good idea? In fact, I might just put hardboard down as I've got a staple gun from a previously having done this.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Chair legs, beds, tables.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

In message , Mathew Newton writes

No reason at all - it's no different to fitting hardboard to provide a level surface.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Bit like underlay then?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Because you'll be left with huge gaps at the bottom of the doors when someone comes along and does the job properly.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Nothing, unless you are in the habit of walking around on pound coins. By the time you get underlay and carpet down, even chair legs etc, will have little, if any, effect.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Or have a wooden leg.

Reply to
Guy King

I have a wooden foot on the end of mine, so still don't qualify ;-)

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words: