Laminate flooring - vapour barrier underlay really necessary?

I strongly suspect it's not necessary. I've just finished doing some, using the combifloor with the built-in vapour barrier (and the rather nifty arrangement for fastening the edges together). It didn't add much to the overall cost of the project, but I did wonder - as you are doing - that if my carpet never got soggy, mouldy or smelly, there really is a need for it.

Reply to
Nick Atty

I'm about to replace a carpet (laid on concrete) with laminate flooring.

Instructions mention using an underlay with a vapour barrier. However, don't concrete floors in houses already have a damp proof membrane incorporated?

Is the vapour barrier only required in a new house where the concrete has not yet fully dried out? Or is there some other dampness factor I am missing?

Reply to
Joe T

Good point that. I did lay a blue plastic barrier under mine but I wonder now if it was a waste.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Your carpet is highly permeable, and allows any trapped moisture to escape. Laminate is almost completely impermeable. Water will be trapped under it, and absorbed by the bottom surface. This will cause swelling and distortion. How much will depend on how good your DPM is under your concrete.

Reply to
Grunff

If the instruction mention DPM, use it. If any problems occur later your warrantee will be useless. Plus the DPM underneath the concrete has nothing to do with protectin your wooden flooring on the concrete itself. We always use DPM whe installing wooden flooring on concrete/screed underfloor: a - hardl any extra costs, b - better protection against any residue moist in th concrete floor (however old

-- WoodYouLike

Reply to
WoodYouLike