Underlay: foam or rubber stuff more durable?

I'm having some carpet replaced; have decided to retain most of the the old (rubber Tredaire) rather than replace that too, as most of it is in good nick. That said, I am replacing a few areas which have had very high traffic and where the underlay is obviously knackered.

I'v got various old roll-ends of different type 'in stock' and will use like for like where I'm doing small areas, but was wondering what to do about the stairs. I'll redo them completely as the old underlay is shot, especially on the leading edge, but was wondering which in general was the best stuff to use here, as I seem to have plenty of both sorts in my 'useful box': is the old-fashione rubber underlay preferable to the newer foamy 'Cloud 9' type stuff? Or vice versa?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

I put Cloud 9 down on an attic bedroom for my daughter around 3 years ago and it still has that luxurious feel to it when walking on. Not to mention we can't even hear her walking about from the room below.

I put Tredaire (Sure it was the dearest stuff, offering of 3 that B&Q sold) in the hall also around the same time. Granted the hall has more traffic but it has lost the luxury feel.

Its all subjective but I think I'd definitely go the Cloud 9 way for future carpets.

Reply to
RoundSquare

Agreed - I used it on stairs and it's still like new. Other stuff would have failed by now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Watch the thickness whatever you use on stairs. Depending on how you are doing it, you may have to fold it over the nose of each step. That can be awkward with the thicker underlays. IMHO felt is probably the best for stairs. It doesn't have the insulation value of some of the foams, but it's sound deadening qualities are excellent and it is very hard wearing (and cheap... :) ).

Reply to
mick