B&Q Carpet Underlay

I need to buy some underlay for my lounge, hall, stairs and landing. I want to get good quality underlay and have seen in on B&Q's web site two possiblilties

anyone have any recommendations on which is best/most hardwaring, or any other supplier/product?

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

There are two main types of underlay available now, standard gripper fixed and double stuck.

The gripper fixed can be felt or a mixture of felt and rubber, these are not fixed to the floor in anyway, the carpet is effectively stretched between grippers which are pinned to the floor. Think of a drum skin. This is why you should have the carpet restretched about 6 months after fitting and then at intervals depending of the amount of use the carpet gets. Felt also mats down in heavy traffic areas such as doorways, which leads to a hard feeling after a short time.

Double stuck underlay has a release adhesive below the underlay and a permanent adhesive above it to which the carpet is bedded into. The advantage is that the carpet doesn't stretch and "should" not move. Double stuck underlay is usually rubber or rubber crumb, although there are now some synthetic versions. Don't go for a floppy one as this may breakdown in use.

Basically you pays yer money and take yer choice!

Cheers Steve

Reply to
Stephen Williams

I've just finished a job using the blue contract stuff. It has a silver foil damp-proof membrane on one side, and a plastic non-silver foil on the upward facing side. It is easy to cut and lay. Buy some spray glue to fix around the edge at various points, and tape all seams. Carpet lays easily on this stuff. It is guaranteed ARAIR, and is cheaper by a long way than the rubber stuff, which I find smells and will crumble eventually. The "contract" stuff is much lighter. That said, it is more common to see the rubber stuff.

If you want a recommendation, buy 42oz or better "shoddy" or wool underlay, both of which are available on the 'net. It is not quite so fitter-friendly, but will outlast rubber or foam, is very comfy, and doesn't stink. Much better than foam or rubber ribbed or crumb underlay.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built