Tad OT but it is about power tools :- Mower recommendation

Can't decide between the plastic bladed flymo with 15 L collected grass (£47.98)or the metal bladed Performance power with 25L collected grass (£49.98). Any thoughts ,recommendations. The performance power one has a roller for stripping the grass but as it is to cut an area of grass rather than a "lawn" stripes are WAY down on the list.

Flymo :-

Power :-

soup

Metal blades can usually be sharpened. Plastic ones can't.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Metal blades usually cut the grass Plastic ones often don't unless it is the right type of grass, the right length, and the right moisture content!

Reply to
John Rumm

A Flymo with a full load of grass doesn't 'fly' very well.

Reply to
Alan

In article , soup writes

Generally, hover = pants, plastic blades = pants.

I'm finding qualcast difficult to beat for small utility mowers at the mo and my favourite is the Qualcast Powertrak 34, very light in spite of 34cm size:

, but probably larger than you wanted and over your budget.

Maybe look at its little brother, Qualcast Electric Rotary Mower 32-850:

avoid the illusion that hover = easy.

Reply to
fred

Having had both a flymo and a Qualcast, I wholeheartedly endorse the qualcast. My qualcast is a Quadtrak bought about 10 yrs ago. Dabbled with the flymo about 1 year ago and took it back, and hunted for a new blade for the qualcast. Very reliable, good for small-medium lawns and grass patches. Collects the grass, and easy to use.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

In article , Ian Cornish writes

The new ones are a significant improvement over the older ones too, lighter, better balanced and easier to adjust; the best got better. Don't know if the smaller ones are as good but the Powertrak 34 is a def winner.

Reply to
fred

Bit OTT, or are you going to play marbles?

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Shouldn't be a problem - it'll only cut the lawn the once.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Look for a local lawnmower centre and go there. For electric mowers, go for one with an induction motor (which tends to rule out Flymo). This has a power profile which is much more suitable for grass cutting, and doesn't have brushes to wear out (or in the case of Flymos, burnout). Don't worry if the power consumption is a bit lower than mowers with cheap universal motors -- the induction motor is more efficient in this application which more than makes up for that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel