When is a 2 seater bench not a 2 seater bench?

Answer - when it is the 'Barcelona' bench from B&Q

one of these at the weekend and erected it, only to discover that it is designed to support 100kg or 16 stone.

Now pardon me for being stupid, but what on earth is the point of that? Surely two people are going to want to sit on this at the same time, but two adults, or me and my 4 year old, would be too heavy and risk collapsing it!

At no point on the packaging or the web site does it say - WILL NOT SUPPORT TWO PEOPLE

I am loath to take the thing apart and go get a refund, but this is probably what I'll have to do, otherwise everytime my inlaws or parents are round and two of them try to sit on it I'll have to tell them not to!

This is preposterous.

Reply to
Ed

>> Bought one of these at the weekend and erected it, only to discover

Where does it say that it is only designed to support the weight you state ? Could be an interesting factor.

Pete

Peter Stockdale

On the 'warnings' section on the back of the assembly instructions. Not in bold font or capitalised at all, in fact most people would probably ignore it even if they read the instructions, cos they arent really needed to work out how to assemble it

Reply to
Ed

Might I suggest you do what most people do and ignore it then. Most such caveats are only there to stop them suing you. Load it until it starts creaking then stop and back off a bit. If that allows two people on OK then fine. If not, take it back. Not exactly rocket science!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Clearly the thing is not fit for purpose. Preposterous agreed. I would be grumpy too. Look forward to hearing what B and Q have to say about it.

Regards Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

Looking at the picture, a couple of diagonal struts under the seat would strengthen it enourmously. There is not miuch to stop it collapsing sideways.

Reply to
<me9

>> Bought one of these at the weekend and erected it, only to discover

I would contact Trading Standards too.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

>> Bought one of these at the weekend and erected it, only to discover

It is rather. Maybe time for a B&Q thread.. Are they the leading source of complaints here?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I dont' think so - it's entirely reasonable to expect that a 2 seater bench ought to support the weight of 2 average people so it seems that this bench is clearly unfit for purpose.

Reply to
RichardS

Reply from B&Q and my retort...

Quoting "Burrell, Katy" :

facility

information.

maximum

installation

occasion.

--------

my reply... But the thing is 4 foor long, you cannot seriously suggest that anyone has ever bought this bench only expecting to be able to seat one person on it!

You should clearly state on the web site and in the literature - NOT SUITABLE FOR TWO PEOPLE. It is only once I had got the bench home and opened the box that I can find this information, which is preposterous.

Many thanks for your reply, however, it is most amusing

regards Ed Bowden

Reply to
Ed

We've got one of these. My wife and I (who together weigh somewhat more than 16 stones) can sit on it together with no sign of it sagging.

I know that isn't really the point, but just to let you know.

Reply to
Andy

So do we, and no creaking has been heard yet!

Cheers Ed

Reply to
Ed

If purchase of said article includes a clause to prevent in-laws coming round then there'll be a rush on these products and I'd like to be at the head of the queue!

Mungo :-)

Reply to
mungoh