Wallpapering: trimming at ceiling

Once again, I've my wallpapering job hasn't been as good as I would wish, due to my poor quality trimming where the paper meets the ceiling, door frames, wall units etc. I use the standard method of creasing the paper with the back of the scissors, folding the paper back and then trimming along the crease line. But I always end up either trimming too much or too little off. I must admit that trimming is easier in daylight. Sometimes when I am stuck up the ladder it is hard to see where the fold is! But time constraints mean I have to hang paper after work.

How do the pros do this? Or should I just stick a border over it?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

It's not easy following the crease is it? If the paper is good quality then the simplest way to a good result is to use a Stanley Knife with a new sharp blade. Cheap thin wallpapers can tend to drag and tear if you do this, so test a sample first. There are various proprietory devices for trimming wallpaper although I've never tried any of them.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

I use one of these, great results every time!

the link doesn't work go to
and search for "wallpaper cutting guide".

HTH

John

Reply to
John

try a trimeasy, supposed to be foolproof.

RT

Reply to
[news]

On 07 Mar 2005, [news] wrote

I used one of those -- the battery-powered trimmer -- and everything you've heard is true.

It. is. bloody. brilliant.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Rob Morley

I've got a battery electric trimmer which does a far better job than I can manage using traditional methods. It came from Homebase many years ago. Dunno if they're still available - I've not looked recently.

It sort of uses a tiny pair of scissors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Another bloody brilliant here, good results every time.

Reply to
Ian_m

Type 'Sidewinder' into the Quick Search on the above reference site... I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using it!

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

Yeah, the image of all that timber and 1/2 the weight being supported by a small piece of plastic which puts the weight onto the window glass doesn't inspire confidence - especially if I was in the passenger seat.

LOL - imagine if some guy decided to buy two sets - one for each side of the car - and then has to work out how to get into the car after loading it!

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I think I've tried every gadget, and the simplest/quickest for me is a sharp knife with a curved blade. Opinel is the one I use (cheap from fishing shops etc). Soft metal so it sharpens easily on a pull-through type kitchen sharpener, which you need to do often. A Stanley blade lasts about one cut, and then the point blunts and starts to tear the paper. I use a 4" scraper as a straightedge held firmly against the bit you don't want to tear. I find this easier than a plastering trowel, which I've seen the pros use. The battery thing that perforates the paper is ok but painfully slow, and doesn't get right into corners. Mine's at the back of a drawer somewhere

Reply to
Stuart Noble

For more tips in removing and installing wallpaper, you can read our free how-to information here...

Installing wallpaper:

Areas and Tricky Spots:
and Tricks:
these help! David Young Wall to Wall Wallpaper and Home Decor

youngs