T-trck, either cheap or green

We're constructing a "tent"/"fort" for my son, who wants such a thing around his bed so he can watch movies and read books in a fort. My wife wants it to be easily removable. The tentative plan is to run T-track in a rectangle on the ceiling, then hang cloth panels off the t-track, which can then be retracted.

Anyway, I need about 20 feet of t-track, and have been surprised at the variation in price. Rockler has blue stuff in 4' lengths for $16. Woocraft has gneric for close to twice that, and Incra gold stuff for the same price. My son would prefer green anodized aluminum instead of Rocklr blue. Does anyone hav a source for that? Or for inexpensive t-track (in any color that isn't gold)?

Thanks,

Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

A close reseblance would be the curtain runs for hospital curtain dividers. Not sure where to look for those other than a hospital supply, but I got mine when remodeling a hospital. Lou

Reply to
Lou

Find the fittings you're going to use and then very carefully check the dimensions against those of the track you are considering and make sure it will accommodate them.

As for the color, what does a can of green Rust-Oleum cost?

Reply to
J. Clarke

then be retracted.

McMaster Carr has the clear anodized stuff in 4' lengths for under $10 each: Width: 47/64" Height: 1/2" Length: 48" Part #: 1850A19 Price: $9.38

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

then be retracted.

Reply to
Pat Barber

T-Track - no. But how about some alternatives?

Eons ago when my daughter was about 5 she wanted something similar. We bought a small $20 2 person tent and put it up in her room. She loved it and damn near lived in it for about a month. A friend used a PVC pipe frame around his son's bed and that was "the best" in the kids words. Both solutions are easy to install and remove and leave no holes/marks/ damage to the house. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Artemus"

I agree .. IME, T-Track does not slide all that easily under the best of circumstances, as those necessary square nuts can really hang.

A shower curtain type arrangement from the ceiling, maybe using pvc, or even electrical conduit, would be the simplest, cheapest and with the fewest holes drilled. I used the conduit/shower curtain ring approach recently outdoors to shield a friend's hot-tub from the afternoon sun, but pvc will likely be more kid friendly.

A simple square frame out of 3/4" PVC, hung from the ceiling at four points over the bed, fabric shower curtains and rings ... instant fort.

Reply to
Swingman

Thu, Jan 3, 2008, 6:23am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@basil.u.arizona.edu (Andrew=A0Barss) doth sayeth: We're constructing a "tent"/"fort" for my son, who wants such a thing around his bed so he can watch movies and read books in a fort. My wife wants it to be easily removable. The tentative plan is to run T-track in a rectangle on the ceiling, then hang cloth panels off the t-track, which can then be retracted.

Well, my first though is, fabrich hanging from a ceiling ain't a fort. My third thought was stack boxes up, or interlocking pieces - wouldn't be hard to come up with something like that - painted fort color. Second thought was lightweit folding screens, painted with fort scenes. Fabric or paper covered, to be light weight. If I was a kid (Hell, in some ways I still am), I'd sooner have blankets strung from chairs as a fort than cloth hung from the ceiling. Ask the kid what he wants, then what would be accaptable, go from there.

Quite awhile back I saw a 'cabin' kids could make, and play in, ala Lincon Logs, except with interlocking plywood pieces. No, I don't recall where I saw it, just on-line somewhere; and no, I'm not going to spend time looking for it; if "I" want a fort, then I'll look; until then you look. The point is, something like that can be put up, or taken down, in just a few minutes, and in different configurations, same same as Lincoln Logs. Trouble with all you guys, you're all too old.

JOAT You can't always judge by appearances, the early bird may have been up all night.

Reply to
J T

Thu, Jan 3, 2008, 1:53pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bogus.com (Artemus) doth sayeth: A friend used a PVC pipe frame around his son's bed and that was "the best" in the kids words.

Yeah, with old sheets stretched over them, and painted like a fort, and maybe held on by work clamps. If I was a kid I'd like that. Wouldn't even need to be PVC. If something like that was hung from the ceiling, I could accept that hung from the ceiling. But I would not like it hung from the ceiling if it was loose, that is, no frame to stiffen it up. Latex works well as a fabric paint. At least it hasn't washed out of any any of my pants yet. I'd say thin it by at least

50/50, probably quite a bit more. Hmm, paper would work with a frame too. Might even want to let the kid do the painting - I would want to paint my own. Best deside on a design before painting tho - that's what google images is for, among other things.