Makeshift Victorian door

Before I start, I must confess that I don't know the slightest thing about diy!

I rent a room in a house but the landlord won't let me replace the plain door with one of my choice, because the outer side of the door matches all the other doors in the house. However, he has said that I can do what I want to the inside side of my door (if that makes sense).

I'd love to have a white Victorian door, as in the link below, but seeing as I'm not allowed to replace the door, I was wondering if I could perhaps do something to the inside side of the door to make it 'look' like a Victorian door. Would it simply be a case of attaching some thin beading in the shape of four oblongs? Or would that look really bad?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas

Thomas

Incidentally, the link works fine but may be a little slow.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

Well, you could do that - you'll find umpteen different styles of beading at B&Q to choose from. You'd have to mitre the corners (ie, saw them at 45 degrees).

You wouldn't be the first to do it, but personally I think it looks a bit naff, because the panelled sections should be set into the door Up to you and your personal preference at the end of the day though, isn't it?

Go down to B&Q and hold some suitable profiles of beading against one of their flush doors, and get a feel for how it would look.

Is there any chance your landlord would let you temporarily replace the door (ie store the original in the cellar/garage or similar and then refit it when you leave)? Although hanging a new door from scratch would be quite tricky for a complete beginner; much more so than glueing on a few lengths of beading.

David

Reply to
Lobster

"Thomas" wrote | I'd love to have a white Victorian door,

Victorian doors weren't white. They were painted in dark colours -- often grained to give a faux wood effect.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Georgian, perhaps?

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

matches all

perhaps do

forgot to show us what your door looks like now! In case you dont reply, you can make recessed panels by attaching a sheet of ply with panels cut out of it, and adding the usual victorian beading.

The pic you linked to looked like a pretty poor imitation of a Vic door, so Im not that clear what youre after.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

MDF would be cheaper, and could possibly be routed rather than fitting mouldings.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I remember seeing a moulding kit in one of the sheds to do just this. Saves having to make mitres if you're not used to them.

Of course it won't be exactly like a panelled door as the panels are usually thinner than the door itself. But will be ok at a glance, and you could enhance the effect by painting the panels a different colour from the door.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

tinsnipped:

By someone that says he knows nothing about diy?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

That was my reaction - but I thought I'd wait to see if anyone who knew better said it :-)

That B&Q door doesn't look anything like any Victorian door I've ever seen.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

True. Maybe he could find a "handyman" to do it for him (I nearly said find a joiner, but after the recent thread on that subject I thought better of it).

Reply to
Rob Morley

slightest

below,

yes he could, but using beading that will cover a lses than perfect cut and diying would strike me as more whats being asked for.

Reply to
bigcat

Hi,

Might also be because it's a fire door, or supposed to look like one!

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Attatch a piece of hardboard to one side of a paneled door and hang that.

BTW the door in the link is nothing to aspire to, it is finished in hardboard pressed very roughly to the shape of panels. You'd be better of with something solid, maybe reclaimed if you want it cheap.

Reply to
basil

As someone else has already mentioned, it's likely that the existing doors are certified fire doors, so replacing with anything else will likely incur the wrath of the landlord and whatever safety people are responsible for that sort of thing.

Reply to
Rob Morley