Laminate Floor - ripping the last row - novice needs help !

So I've got to the last row and have to rip the boards lengthways to fit. Walls aren't straight (obviously) so have scribed wobbly line using offcut as described in my DIY book. However, I'm using an electric jig saw so have to cut face down to avoid the finish chipping off. How do I get the line onto the bottom of the board ?

Reply to
Zippy

Given that the cut edge will be either under the skirting boards, or under beading/edging strip, surely its not an issue if the edge is chipped slightly?

Reply to
Paul Williams

The cut edge will be hidden under the skirting (or quadrant trim if you're doing it that way) so it shouldn't matter too much.

Reply to
Laurie

Use a blade that cuts on the downstroke

Reply to
mj

As others have said: a) the edge will be hidden b) use a blade which cuts on the upstroke

If you *really* want to cut from the bottom, mark out the line on the top, and drill a series of 1/16" holes through, on the line, and sufficiently close together to define the shape. I would suggest about 3" apart unless there are any particularly wiggly bits. Then join the holes up on the underside, using a pencil and ruler. [I just invented that, and have not actually done it - but I can't see why it shouldn't work, as long as you keep the drill upright!]

Reply to
Set Square

Or use tracing paper!

Reply to
Grunff

Didn't know you could get jig saw blades that cut on the downstroke ! I'll have a look on Screwfix. I like the drilling little holes idea but that would take more time than I can be ar$ed to spend. Hope the skirting covers the damage - should do if I use a nice fine / sharp blade. Cheers.

Reply to
Zippy

I invented that just before I read your post but now no one will beleive me.

Reply to
Ric

Ah, but did you *patent* it?

Reply to
Set Square

mj

Snip *fyinyd a blade that cuts onthe downstroke*

I ordered one blade faor this type ofy thingy. I ordered one yesterday so can't vouch fyory it. parytnumber 41316 its a bit pryicey fyory one blade though, specifyically designed fyory laminates, cuts on the downsryke. No need to turn the board upside down.

Reply to
dave

Ya know - we all should get out more!

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Hi,

If you have a non clic jigsaw, one way out is to grind a flat on the end of a normal blade and use it upside down.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C