Kohler Magneto K161 Needs Help

Hi All,

Have a Kohler K161 Megneto Ignition coil leaking dark red stickey goo. The Condenser seams OK, and the points also seam OK, and ohm out with a meter, like a switch, correctly. I still get no spark.

Hard time finding a coil for this engine.

Any advise on winding your own coil. Have a winding machine, but am not sure if the wire is of a special type insulation. Can mic out the guage, and may be able to count the turns (yea right) off winding, if possable.

Still a good used coil, or new old stock would be great. Any source out there? Many Thanks in Advance! George:)

Gturco2 at charter dot net

Reply to
norge

Hi All,

Have a Kohler K161 -RT 7 HP, Horizontal shaft with no spark. The condenser seams OK to a volt meter test, but not sure about the HV capability, and looks fairly new. The points look like new, and act like a switch to a DVM. They are also clean, and not pitted.

The coil has some dark red sticky ooze leaking out of it. My guess is that its breaking down, and shorting internally under the high voltage. I get about 1 ohm on the primary, and about 3000 (3K) ohms on the high tension winding. ((Not too sure what to expect for DC resistance though...))

Any one have any source for a coil, or any one wind there own magneto?

I can mic the wire gauge, but not sure of the magnet wire insulation spec. Thought it can be potted in slow cure black potting, or varnish, perhaps even pull a vacuum on it to purge the air. Any clue on turns ratio, or wire type?

Anyway, any help is appreciated in advance:) George:)

Gturco2 at charter dot net with obvious changes. Thanks;)

Reply to
norge