Kawasaki vs. Vanguard vs. Kohler

Trying to decide on a z-turn mower. My preference right now is for a Kawasaki, but I have never had a proper commercial B&S or Kohler engine. Any preferences? I'd prefer the quietest / smoothest one.

I have a Kawasaki (husky) air blower and love it, that engine really is nice! Burnt out a handful of B&S (I guess homeowner) engines, can't say I like B&S at all, but I never had a vanguard.

Thanks for any comments.

Dean

Reply to
dean

Depending on how big you're going, I'd seriously consider diesel instead of gasoline if it's available.

That said, I've all of the above plus Tecumseh and have B&S engines still running well that are nearly 40 years old as well as the Kawasaki and Tecumseh. I did blow a B&S 9 hp a couple of years ago but it was my fault -- I replaced the spring on the throttle return and inadvertently put it on wrong and over-rev'ed it and stretched the rod-clamp before I got it cut off. I'm sure I could replace the rod/ piston in it, but Northern had a sale at the right time and I just replaced it. Other than an old push-mower w/ a little 3 hp B&S, I don't recall ever having another go bad before I was ready to dispose of the mower/tractor/tiller anyway.

I did finally wear out the Tecumseh on the old JD 110 put a new shortblock in it, but it is well over 40 years old now and has been over uncountable acres and a lot of heavy weeds as well as the lawn...

The key ime is maintenance and not abusing any of them.

Reply to
dpb

I had a vanguard engine in my lawn mower for 14 years before the lawn mower broke and I couldn't justify the cost of the replacement part. The engine held up fine with no maintenance. But I was just cutting my yard. If you use your equipment enough to burn out several engines, you really ought to get the kawasaki.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

You'd be better off basing your decision on the machine rather than the engine. the best engine in the world ain't worth a crap if it's bolted to a piece of junk.

Reply to
Steve Barker

If I had the dough I would pitch for the Kawasaki, no question.

Reply to
Lawrence

Agree with that. Engines have different torque characteristics that can make a machine a PITA or a joy to use. The Kohler twins used in Simplicity coupled with hydrostat take all the misery out of big jobs and are much less $$ than similar sized Kubota, altho the latter is a real sweetheart of a diesel. It all comes down to try before you buy and take proper care of it after. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Recently did some research on this subject and got input from a dealer who sells commercial machines with all 3 engines. Based on % of shop repairs and user comments, he rated the engines best to worse as follows: (1)Kawasaki, (2) Vangard, (3) B&S. In cases with failure under warranty engine problems, Kawasaki was replacing the whole engine whereas the other two were rebuilding the engines. I bought a unit with the Kawasaki engine and have never been sorry.

Red

Reply to
Red

Many machines are stocked with a Briggs but can be ordered with the Kawasaki. Hence, the different motors are used on the exact same machine.

Reply to
Lawrence