garden tractor - is Husqvarna any good

HI: I am looking at a Husqvarna GT2554 garden tractor to buy and use on my

12 acres. This is a 22hp, 54" deck model, 6 speed/hi-lo range.

If you have experience with this brand of mower/tractor or any model of Husqvarna please let me know you opinion.

The one repair shop in this area says these are unreliable. But then he also says he stopped selling them because they 'screwed him', no explination. Sounds like sour grapes.

Thanks, Gus

Reply to
Gus

Frank Knight

Gus,

12 acres is a little steep from a time standpoint for a rider/tractor. If your only interested in *mowing* the 12 acres, I would strongly suggest a mid-range zero-turn mower. On my 4 acres, I moved progressively from the Craftsman 42" to a Kubota B1700 with a 48" finish mower to a Husqvarna 5221 Z-turn. My mowing time moved from 11 hours to 6.5 hours to 1.75 respectively. If you want more versatility, you should be looking at the smaller diesel tractors.

That being said, if you are set on a traditional rider, the husky is good, but for 12 acres, I wouldn't recommend the GT series that they sell at the box stores, I would spend a few hundred bucks more and get into the XP series that are on a lot sturdier platform and go for the Kawasaki commercial twin engine rather than the Kohler or B&S. It'll stand up to the use better in the long run.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Warren

What does Consumers' Reports say?

Reply to
Stubby

Frank - thanks for the info

I have talked to three Husq dealers and they all agree that the standard transmision will hold up better than the hydro for my pulling. While I will use the mower I will use it for pulling my small trailers and for running around the land.

I have 12 ac., the house is in a 5 ac. tract and I will only cut close around that. I guess I might have 5-6 acres of grassland total and most of that will be cut with my Ford 8N and a brush hog.

So that is why I did not want to put a lot of money into a 'utility tractor'.

As far as ease of use -- like the 8N, select the gear and range for the speed you want and let out the clutch.

Reply to
Gus

Keith thanks for the input.

I have a lot of oaks, cactus and cedars so I only have 5-6ac of grass. Guess I should not have said I had 12 acres.

You had a great time savings with the size change. The Husq with 54" cut should zip through what I want to cut with it. It takes me about

5 hours to cut everything with my ford 8N w/ a brush hog.

I looked at the small Chinese diesel tractors but needed a mower/puller/trasportation that runs under tree limbs.

I'll check out the XP series, Lowe's doesn't carry that one but they do have a larger TH2654. What's wrong with B&S? Husq uses the ELS engines which are premium engines.

Thanks aga>Gus,

Reply to
Gus

If you just wat a good mowing job and not spend a lot of time atit look at the Dixie Chopper. They claim to be the fastest mower sold and I think it might be. They came out with a residential model this year that looks better than most commercial models. They are made to last, they even have a stainless steel deck.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly

I lkie to spend alot of time atit. ;)

Reply to
joe

Gus,

I don't have any particular issue with the Briggs motors. I have several.... one of which is on a 25 YO tiller that cranks on the first pull every spring. I just think that they are on the light duty side for the amount of annual use that you are talking about for a mower. The Kawasaki IMHO is a much better engine with a pressurized, filtered oil system, not to mention that the overall construction of the mower, frame and deck is sturdier on the XP series. My dad bought an XP with the 18HP Kawasaki motor and a 48" deck with the Hydro transmission and it is a great unit for ~$300 more than a comparable GT model. Just for comparison's sake, I have cut my yard with it in about 3.25 hours. With my yard, it isn't so much about the size at 4 acres as it is the orchards, gardens, (20 or so remnants of a Christmas Tree Farm...... anybody need 60ft tall White Pines to decorate this year? :-) hills and other obstacles that eat up time on the tractor or a mower with a larger turning radius than what I have.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Warren

The dixie is a good grass cutter from what I understand but it might be a bit of overkill for cutting your own lawn. There's a gaggle of ZTR's to choose from that carry a 2 year warranty, if titled to a homeowner.

And there's nothing wrong with buying heavy steel either if you can afford it, like you said.

Reply to
Steveo

It's -all- about atit.

Reply to
Steveo

I compared this model and the Husky zero radius mower as well when shopping for a new Lawn Tractor. My opinion is that is run of the mill designed to throw away in five years. I don't think I would try mowing 12 acres with it. It is way too slow and only cuts54." I would suggest a more expensive but practical solution. A John Deere zero radius Commercial mower with a ground speed of at least 10 mph and a 72 in deck. Husky does have a good commercial mower in that league. Expect to pay from 5,700 to 7,200. Kubota among others offfers a diesel for a little more. I know it's a lot of money but it will last you 15 years or more with correct maintenance. With 12 acres to mow with that little mower you are asking about you will have to restart at the beginning when you reach the end. You'll only have time for a sandwich and oil changes and trips to buy fuel for the thing.

Reply to
jaberwokie

What you missed was they came out this year with a residential model that should out last most commercial models. They are using the same drive unit as the commercial models. Just smaller and cheaper.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly