Re: Lawn Tractor Questions

Why do you want a lawn tractor for a yard that size? Do you have a physical disability that you cannot walk? Is the lawn such a steep grade it is to hard to push? It is a waste of money on a yard that small a push mower might take an hour to mow. Get a good push mower maybe even a self propelled if you need it. Get one of the rear wheel drive with the caster wheels in the front. I have an 80 year old grandmother who push mows a lawn bigger than that and I am not joking.

I'm getting ready to buy a new lawn tractor for our .6 acre lot in > Charlotte, NC. > > Initially, I thought for sure I'd buy a new John Deere L110 at Home Depot > for $1799. It looks like a good unit, and they are advertising their mowing > deck to be better for reducing the grass buildup underneath it. It's a 17.5 > HP mower. > > Then, I stopped at Sears to see what they had. The salesman there was > touting their DLT 3000 tractors as better than the John Deere units. > > A couple of questions here: > > 1. Any opinions on the quality of the Sears DLT 3000 tractors vs. the John > Deere L110? > > 2. I see the DLT 3000 tractor comes in 3 "flavors"....(a) 25HP B&S V-Twin, > (b) 20HP Kohler Pro, and (c) 16.5HP Honda V-Twin (which also has cruise > control). Oddly enough, the smallest engine (Honda) costs more than the > largest engine (B&S). Any opinions on which of the three is best? > > Thanks.... > >
Reply to
Chris

| > Initially, I thought for sure I'd buy a new John Deere L110 at Home Depot | > for $1799. It looks like a good unit, and they are advertising their | mowing | > deck to be better for reducing the grass buildup underneath it. It's a | 17.5 | > HP mower. | >

| > Then, I stopped at Sears to see what they had. The salesman there was | > touting their DLT 3000 tractors as better than the John Deere units. | >

| > A couple of questions here: | >

| > 1. Any opinions on the quality of the Sears DLT 3000 tractors vs. the | John | > Deere L110? | >

| > 2. I see the DLT 3000 tractor comes in 3 "flavors"....(a) 25HP B&S | V-Twin, | > (b) 20HP Kohler Pro, and (c) 16.5HP Honda V-Twin (which also has cruise | > control). Oddly enough, the smallest engine (Honda) costs more than the | > largest engine (B&S). Any opinions on which of the three is best? | >

| > Thanks.... | >

| | Very helpful, Chris....thanks.

Reply to
M. Osborn

Reply to
Chris

So this means that we all have to use a push mower as well?

Back to the original question. I don't know anything about the Sears model, but I hear people swear by the Deere's.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Thanks for the input....that's kinda the type I was looking for.

Regarding Chris's grandmother, maybe she'd cut my grass, too, and I wouldn't need the mower at all?

Reply to
M. Osborn

why did you repost your original message again m. osborn ?

Reply to
Die Spammer !!!

mowin is very good exercize

Reply to
Die Spammer !!!

I didn't ask about your lifestyle.

Reply to
Moparholic

Are you the moderator here?

Reply to
Moparholic

I can assure you, hundreds and thousands of homeowners swear AT their Crapsman.

Buy the Deere.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I saw it twice. once for your original post then again in your reply to chris ....

Reply to
Die Spammer !!!

I mow .75 acres of mostly steep hills with an L110 and it's been great so far. I have about 18 hrs. on it. That bit about the deck not getting clogged could be far fetched though. I cleaned mine 2 weeks ago and it was pretty well packed. BUT, I'm cutting with the mulcher cover on the deck. Luckily, the deck is a breeze to get off and on the mower. If you bag or side-discharge it could be a whole different ballgame. This is the first time I've had a mower with an auto tranny and I'm NEVER going back to a stick.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

You don't even need a walk behind, surely you can do the job with a pair of nail clippers....

Reply to
Sobriez

And I can assure that after using a $1,000 Craftsman (15.5 horse B&S motor) hydrostatic lawn tractor for almost 10 years now (Michigan) with the ONLY maintenance being oil changes, one blade set change, periodic blade sharpenings, every other year battery changes, and annual air-filter clean-outs, it still works great. Starts immediately EVERY time. Transmission works great. Engine works great. No problems. Still on the original plug, too. This RIDICULOUS prejudice some people have against Sears Craftsman equipment is laughable. There is precisely nothing wrong with Sears lawn tractors for typical homeowner use. Nothing. It saves you a ton of money, too, compared to the pretty hat brands.

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Reply to
GRL

Sorry, GRL, but my "ridiculous, laughable" prejudice against Crapsman is based on real, concrete experience with owning one of the beasts, and enhanced by many stories, both from folks I know personally and others I don't but have heard here on the 'net, that have had the same results.

You can locate my Crapsman woes via a google groups search with a little legwork. But I assure you, I don't have a "blind prejudice".

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I have a John Deere Sabre model 1438 HS with a 14.5 B&S engine on a 38-inch deck with high lift bagger blades, and bag kit installed that I purchased back in July 2001, and it has worked flawlessly for me since. I've mowed foot high grass with it, and that 14.5hp B&S motor had no problem dealing with it while going up a hill with my 285 pound butt parked in the seat. Now the bag unit does need for the grass to be dry and not too thick, and high lift bagger blades installed in order to work well.

Now I've never had a problem with the deck clogging up on me even after mowing soaking wet high grass. I was shocked the first time I went to drop the deck for cleaning fully expecting the usual thick heavy built up, but found it nearly clean as a whistle somehow even after mowing wet and thick grass for weeks. Well that was back in the fall of 2001, and I've not had to ever clean it since. I check it, but it stays clean. It should be clogged to beat hell, but it never has. Now I've only ran it with the high lift bagger blades installed, and perhaps that could have something to do with it, but I don't know since I have yet to try it with the standard blades installed. I really like the little 14.5 hp B&S motor, its twist to open oil drain makes oil changes as simple as one could expect. Yet to have to replace the air filter thanks to somebody designing a foam rubber filter that fits around it, that has kept all the dust and dirt from getting to it, and checking last week, it still looked as good as the new one I bought just in case.

Like you I was checking out all my options, and looking at brand, price and all of that, and talking with my neighbor when a friend of his drops by who just so happens to have owned and ran his own lawn care business for over 30 years. After introductions I told him that I was really wanting to buy my first riding mower and with him being in the business, what brand of mower would he suggest, and he instantly said, "Get the John Deere!!" Then he told me why. Yes you will pay a little more, but they really are solid built machines, John Deere really stands behind and supports their products, and know how to solve just about any problem you might have. A John Deere mower will hold its value like no other brand, so if you want to sell or trade it in that can be a big plus, but best of all 20 years from now John Deere will still have parts, support and service for it. That was his #1 problem he encountered with all the other brands, 4-5 years down the road getting parts just became a nightmare. Also once again, no other brand seemes to hold its trade in value like a John Deere will.

Me, I'm pretty sold on John Deere, and also bought one of their snow blowers, which has yet to fail me, and blows snow higher and further than any of the brands my neighbors have.

Now what brand of riding mower you go with is up to you, but if you only have a .6 acre sized yard, you might save a little money with a 38-inch cutting deck over the 42-inch one, and a 14.5 hp motor should be plenty. My neighbor just bought a Craftsman 42-inch with a 24.5hp motor, and side by side in foot high grass, at the same speed & height his left a ridge of uncut grass, and my 14.5hp motor chugged a bit, but it cut the grass without leaving an uncut ridge. Now he was running standard blades, and I had high lift bagger blades, and that could have been why mine didn't leave an uncut ridge, but all that extra power didn't get the grass cut better than mine.

As for that DLT 3000 model at Sears, just go to Google, and type "DLT 3000 problems", and do the same with the John Deere, and judge for yourself.

Next find a friend who owns one of their mowers that is say maybe 5 or 10 years old. Write down its info, and then go to Sears and ask for a part.. But before you do that, go back and ask that salesman this question. If I need a part for this mower say 10 to 15 years from now, how would my need be handled, and what could I expect? Then after he has spoken, walk away for about 5 minutes, and then go right back up to him and tell him that you need this part for this make and model of mower, and see what happens.

Now go find any old John Deere mower, and go ask them for a part or whatever for it, and see what happens. Then sit down and judge for yourself based on the results of who was better able to help and assist you, make your choice.

Also try the other brands as well, do some Google searches about problems and parts, and see for yourself. Take your time, don't rush, check and double check everything, and go for it.

Initially, I thought for sure I'd buy a new John Deere L110 at Home Depot for $1799. It looks like a good unit, and they are advertising their mowing deck to be better for reducing the grass buildup underneath it. It's a 17.5 HP mower.

Then, I stopped at Sears to see what they had. The salesman there was touting their DLT 3000 tractors as better than the John Deere units.

A couple of questions here:

  1. Any opinions on the quality of the Sears DLT 3000 tractors vs. the John Deere L110?

  1. I see the DLT 3000 tractor comes in 3 "flavors"....(a) 25HP B&S V-Twin, (b) 20HP Kohler Pro, and (c) 16.5HP Honda V-Twin (which also has cruise control). Oddly enough, the smallest engine (Honda) costs more than the largest engine (B&S). Any opinions on which of the three is best?

Thanks....

Reply to
Chuck

I bought a Craftsman LT1000 20HP V-twin about 2 years ago. We had just bought a place with 2 acres of grass. I had really no previous experience with riding mowers, so I went with Sears because the price was not too bad and hey, their hand tools were good. I also had heard that they had good service if you have problems. The grand total was about $1950 after tax, 3 year service plan, and dump cart. So how did it fare over the last two years? Well.... If I had a time machine and I could jump in it, set it for July 2002, and go back to Sears on that day, I would tell myself:

  1. Don't do it. It will run great for the first season, then its downhill from there. You'll have the carburetor replaced, the throttle cable sticking and finally replaced, the blades stop engaging, and every time you mow you will have to get on the ground with a wrench to level the deck, or else your yard will have grooves in it. Oh, and that popping and backfiring? Get used to it, the service guy won't hear it.

  1. Speaking of the service plan, it looks good on paper, but during the peak of summer when grass is mowed every week, and you will actually need it, they are so backed up that if you need service you have to wait 2 weeks. By then you will have already fixed the problem yourself out of desperation or had to hire it done. Also, if you call them out and the problem is not there, they charge you 80 bucks. So, you will end up with always having problems with it not quite "bad enough" to call the van, but bad enough to wish you had a better mower.

  2. You will find yourself looking at other lawns and wondering how they cut it so smooth.

  1. Spend your 2K on a good used John Deere or other high quality mower.

Also, in my opinion Sears somehow overrates their mowers when it comes to horsepower. There is just no way that thing is 20 HP.

Reply to
Lanny Smith

My John Deere is my pride and joy. 5...10....15 years down the road John Deere will still have parts and service for it. I also have a TRS-26 John Deere Snow blower that I love as well. You walk into a John Deere dealership and the person behind the counter knows the product, and can answer you questions. Also a John Deere mower actually holds its trade in value like no other brand. This has even caused a funny little problem for me every time I clean out my garage, cause if I don't hide and cover them up, just about every other person driving by that sees them will stop, back up and come ask me if I'm selling them. I don't think any other brand causes that sort of reaction in people. Also they stand behind their product. The

2nd year I had my mower the battery went. I took my old battery up there to make sure I bought the same one, and they gave me a new one "NO CHARGE" I said it was my fault for leaving it in the mower during our entire -30' below winters we have here, and I even said, isn't that only covered for the 1st year? He said no problem, regardless that battery should have lasted longer than that. Now that's SERVICE!!!

I'm not well off, and I had to save a little while longer to pay the extra amount I did for my John Deere, but I have found it was worth it.

Welcome to the club.