lawn tractor

I'm in the market for a mid range lawn tractor ($1000-2000). I have about 1

1/2 acres and want a model that is popular enough to easily find accessories (ie bagger, snow blade) for. I've narrowed down to John Deer, Toro, Troy Built, and possibly a Cub. Are they all made by MTD? What does anyone think of the Kohler engine vs the Briggs? Thanks to all.
Reply to
SJ

Are you shopping only at the "big box" stores? If yes, most of them are mtd...although I'm not sure about the JD. If accessories are **very** important to you, my opinion is you'll get better info on them from a dealer. You'll get better service and parts support too, generally speaking. As for engines...both have their fans. My 6 year old Briggs has never given me a problem. If you have to move snow, that needs a little more discussion. Depending on your location and amount of snow, you may be better off with a walk-behind snowblower. Plowing with a lawn tractor wouldn't be my first choice. Your mileage may vary.

GrtArtiste

Reply to
GrtArtiste

SJ:

I've been researching for a week or two and here is a synopsis:

Troybuilt, Cub, White, low-end Toros are all made by MTD, they all share parts and are similiar design.

Husqvarna, Poulan and Craftsman are made by AYP.

Snapper is still made by Snapper as far as I know.

Unsure about John Deere. Many people think John Deere still make their own low end tractors but I compared them to the MTD Toros, Cubs, etc and there are many simularities; they look almost identical to me. They all have the exact same frame, almost identical front ends, very similiar decks, etc.

I have a 14 year old Toro Wheelhorse HXL and all the new sub-$2000 models appear to be heavier duty despite the HXL series being $2500+ tractors.

Ignore HP for the most part. It means very little.

Just because they call it a hydrostatic transmission, doesn't mean that it is. Hydro usually come in the higher end models but the term is getting tossed around to mean anything without gears which isn't true. According to the salesguy at JD, the only Deeres with Hydro are the heaviest garden tractors, the rest are belt drive.

I broke down and bought a John Deere 115 for $1599 because Consumer Reports rated JD as most reliable and I've never heard anyone regret buying a John Deere. They gave no reliability rating on the Toro HXL despite the model being one of the oldest in the test. I think CR is overrated but they are the closest thing to an impartial tester we have.

Reply to
Mac Cool

"I broke down and bought a John Deere 115 for $1599 because Consumer Reports rated JD as most reliable and I've never heard anyone regret buying a John Deere. They gave no reliability rating on the Toro HXL despite the model being one of the oldest in the test. I think CR is overrated but they are the closest thing to an impartial tester we have."

Thats the exact model I'm thinking of getting, do you like it?

Reply to
SJ

SJ:

I pick it up Monday. I'll let you know.

Reply to
Mac Cool

I hate to keep posting about buying a new tractor, but want to get an opinion:

John Deere vs Cub Cadet and why. I think this will make my mind up. thanks Scott

Reply to
SJ

I've made my mind up for sure good buddy.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

SJ:

Consumer Reports rates JD as most reliable. The Cubs are now made by MTD. I bought the JD.

Reply to
Mac Cool

I believe you'll find that not all John Deere tractors come out of the Deere plant either.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

They have been for at least the last 30 years.

Reply to
Steveo

Tom J:

I said as much yesterday but I have yet to find confirmation. If you have a source to prove it I would like to know.

Reply to
Mac Cool

Steveo:

Didn't know that. I've never liked them but they have their fan club.

Reply to
Mac Cool

I recently bought a JD 125. At least this model is made by JD in their plant.

So far, I'm pleased with it. Nothing fancy, it cuts grass well, mulching seems to be OK. I haven't added any accessories yet, so I can't comment on them.

-jav

Reply to
Javier

IMHO, my $9000.00 Cub Cadet is no better than a Murray/Roper/MTD/Craftsman/ECT... It's been back to the shop 5 times for serious problems and has less than 180 hours on it. 2 transmitions, charge pump, steering and brake problems. I'll never buy a CC again. #$%^&()&%$^*%

zTim

Reply to
fredmertz_1

My 9 year old JD GT262 with a 48 inch deck a 48 inch snow thrower and a trailer that I lug around overloaded Is doing just fine - no problems. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes
5-year-old White 42" with L-head Briggs (twin opposed) and hydrostatic transmission.

180 hours on the meter.

Never been to the shop.

Used for mowing the lawn (approx 2 acres), brush-mowing trails in the field and woods, and hauling dirt, yard debris, and tools.

It gets a fresh belly full of Mobil 1 synthetic every Fall before being put to bed for the winter.

Reply to
Ether Jones