Kohler motor on Husqvarna mower

Sears has a sale on a Husqvarna mower with Kohler OHV motor.

?sid=I0084400010000100383&aff=Y Anybody had experience with Kohler motors? Comparison of Kohler with (dreaded) Briggs/Stratton??

Thx, P

Puddin' Man

I don't think they are as good but could be wrong. What's the point of buying Husqvarna if they don't make the motor. Like buying a Honda with a Briggs? I got Husqvarna chain saw. Works good.

Greg

Reply to
zek

I've got a Simplicity Sunstar with a Kohler 20HP that has logged over a 1000 hours. Needed electronic ignition module a while back and output clutches needed adjusting then. Starts and runs just fine. We also use a couple of 13 HP riders on ditches, B & S powered, hundreds of hours on each. Work fine. Never did go along with all the moan and groan over Briggs. IMO, the complaints are due to self generated owner neglect and incompetence.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Yep, and easy to work on if they break down too. I've had Kohlers too and they are about the same quality as far as I can tell.

-C-

Reply to
Country

?sid=I0084400010...>>

Funny you should mention. I bought a pressure washer with the Brigg & Stratton name on it ... not on the engine, but on the whole tool. Go figure, the engine is a Honda!!!!

Reply to
Art Todesco

Kohler engines are *very* good and durable and the company really stands behind their product. I have an old Deere riding mower with a Kohler engine, and had trouble with it once (turned out to be some crud in a fuel line easily fixed).

I looked on the Kohler site and found manuals for their newer engines, but none for the model I had. I didn't expect much, but I entered the model and serial info in their email page and sent it off about 3pm. The next morning at 9:18am I got an email back from them with links to PDFs of the full owner's, service and parts manuals for the 32 year old engine, along with a note to watch out for part numbers that may have been superseded more than once.

Clearly when this engine was built the manuals were not in PDF form nor had PDFs been invented. Kohler cared enough about supporting their products to take the time and effort to scan and archive all the old manuals to support their customers. I'd certainly pick a Kohler engine any opportunity I got. This is also the same Kohler with generators, bathroom fixtures and faucets, and apparently a couple golf resorts.

Reply to
Pete C.

Ditto. I have always had good luck with Briggs. Just bought a B&S generator that got great reviews. As they age, filters, parts, etc are affordable. On the other hand, Honda will break you when you start buying parts. RonB

Reply to
RonB

Good info. I will likely pick one up.

Many thanks, P

Puddin' Man

I have never seen a bad motor. Briggs is good, Kohler is a good brand. I've had many different makes, all were good. Toro, Power Product, Honda, Briggs, Kohler, Tecumseh, Homelite, Jonesred, and a few more. Maintenance is what makes them last. Don't change the oil, air filter, spark plug, clean the water and crap out of the gas tank (i'm careful not to spill crap in the tank from the gas can) oil the wheels and pivot points, grease the wheel bearings, sharpen the blades, clean the dried grass, dirt or crap off the implements tigten lose bolts, replace missing ones; don't do any of that and it will be broken in short time.

Reply to
LSMFT

Most folks don't know to adjust the valve clearance to keep small engines running. I used to service a lot of Generac 8kw hard wired home backup systems with the B&S Vanguard engine and after a few years or a few extended run times due to power outages, the valves needed adjusting which was easy on the overhead valve Vanguard engines. The smaller valve in block or L head engines are more difficult to service but it can be done. Of course I like the overhead valve engines better. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I have had good results with the much defamed Tecumseh engines. My 35 year old roto-tiller has a cast iron Tecumseh engine on it. Repairs easily, and parts are still available despite it not being manufactured for many years and the company out of business.

Reply to
EXT