Snow Blower Advice

I'm shopping for a snow blower for a small driveway. I won't need anything bigger than a 24".

I looked at 3 today. All appear to have the exact same features, for the exact same price - $600

179cc OHV 4 Cycle engine 6 forward speeds/2 reverse 13" tires Electric Start 2 yr warranty

A Troy Bilt at Lowes (Model 31AS62N2711) A Craftsman (Model 88975) An MTD Yard Machine at BJ's (Model unknown)

This site seems to indicate that they all use the POWERMORE engine.

I know I have some more homework to do, such as comparing the features (not the machines) suggested at the following site, but I'm just curious if anyone knows any reason to chose one of three machines mentioned above over the others.

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Look closely at the sheetmetal stampings. Odds are they are all MTDs, under the decals. I've been pretty happy with my Troybilt 24" for the last 3 years or so. No, it isn't commercial quality, but I'm only doing one driveway. I bought it essentially new, for 100 bucks off retail, from a smaller guy who was obviously terrified of it. My back is a lot happier, and I don't cringe when watching the weather forecast in winter any more.

Reply to
aemeijers

i BELIEVE all are the same machine, built by MTD

Reply to
clare

Hard to find any yard equipment any more that is not MTD under the hood.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

MTD makes many of the other brands that are re-badged MTDs including Sears Craftsman. I'm not familiar with the Craftsman 88975 but I bought a Craftsman 88970 equipped with a 208CC Chinese engine and I'm very happy with it. It started on the first pull the first time I started it, and continues to start on the first pull. It also has electric start but I've never bothered with it. One thing I would definitely recommend is not to even consider one of the 20-inch or 22-inch single forward speed units that are sold about $100 cheaper than the 6 forward-speed blowers. A single forward speed unit is worthless since you can't compensate for the depth of the snow.

Re-badged blowers made by MTD (there may be others not listed in addition to Sears Craftsman)

Steve Newman

I think the most critical thing to consider is how are YOU going to maintain it? If you don't maintain it correctly, it doesn't matter which brand you buy because it will faulter.

I have worked on quite a few Chinese scooters and ATV's. I find that getting the parts are time consuming at best. Also, just because they have a part listed doesn't mean they have it in stock or they could even get it before the snow melts.

Usually the engines (Briggs/ Techcumseh/etc.) on MTD's, Craftsman and such are ordered thru the engine manufacturer rather than MTD or Craftsman themselves.

Since most snow blower problems are because they sit all summer and the carb gets clogged, I would suggest you check to see if carb rebuild kits are available for those engines.

If you can't find a Briggs/Honda, I guess you are stuck with the Chinese brand.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

"DerbyDad03" wrote A Troy Bilt at Lowes (Model 31AS62N2711) A Craftsman (Model 88975) An MTD Yard Machine at BJ's (Model unknown)

I'm just curious if anyone knows any reason to chose one of three machines mentioned above over the others.

***************************************************** I don't like Sears. Otherwise, I'd buy the one closest to home.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm with the others off the top of my head. I suspect they are all MTD.

Somebody here is sure to know- and they might have some other thoughts-

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I've got the Troy Bilt as does my next door neighbor. Machine works fine but one season it would not start when stored with stabilized gas and I had to take it to the shop for cleaning/repairing carburetor. Gas may have evaporated from carburetor or, as I later read in the manual, alcohol containing gas should not be used (its all you can buy here). Storing dry, I've had no problems and my machine being 4 years old may have been modified since.

Reply to
Frank

Ariens beats the above units with both hands tied behind it's back.

Chances are excellent that you can buy it from a "real" tractor store for the exact same price as Lowes or Home Depot. There is a long term advantage to buying from a dealer who also does service and any warantee work on site.

Reply to
salty

Thanks Jim...I just registered and posted my question there.

I'll let you know what I hear.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

24" is really big for a small driveway. Since I swear by my 21" 25 year old 6 HP 2 cycle Toro the only thing i can recommend is Toro.

A. Baum

I have used single stage snow *throwers* for years. They were usually free or very cheap. Now that the last one I had has rotted out, there's a reason I want to ungrade:

I live on a curve, therefore I end up with a large "plow pile" at the end of my driveway. The snow throwers have don't handle these piles very well so I end up having to chop them down before I can throw them. They also clog up with heavy snow very easily.

In addition, my son parks in a elderly neighbor's driveway for "free" other than a promise to shovel her driveway and rake some leaves. A

24" unit will make quick work of both jobs.

I have watch my neighbor do his driveway (and plow pile) with a 24" unit for years and he has no problems. He even occasionally comes over and does mine on the really bad days.

The kids are paying for half of it, so for my share, I'm getting a lot of machine. I can't see paying $475 for a single stage unit when I can pay $600 for a 2-stage.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Consumer Reports list several different models where the Craftsman, Troy-Bult, MTD and Yard Machines are the same machine with a different label. They don't really say that, they same those are comparable to the tested model. None of those machines match your number exactly but that is frequently done to help the retailer beat the "no lower price" guarantees.

The 24" Craftsman 88955, Troy-Bilt 2140, Yard Machines, MTD,and Huskee were rated a best buy in the two stage 24" class at about $600 street price. They all had the 179cc engine. A bigger engine and wider path is about $300 more for the Craftsman/TB model.

They, you and I agree that a two stage is the way to go for not a lot of extra money.

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks!

The folks over at the site that Jim E suggested are recommending a Sno Tek (which is an Ariens machine) for the same money with a bigger engine (208cc), sturdier construction and Ariens quality.

or for you cautious folks:

DerbyDad03

Whatever you buy, the addition of a set of tire chains is VERY desirable. It halves the physical effort of operating the machine, and makes it go through just about anything. I'd rather have 6 HP with chains than 12 hp without. Makes all the difference in the world.

You can find chains online.

Reply to
salty

Thanks!

The folks over at the site that Jim E suggested are recommending a Sno Tek (which is an Ariens machine) for the same money with a bigger engine (208cc), sturdier construction and Ariens quality.

or for you cautious folks:

The one Ariens they tested was a larger 27", $1000 model and it was very well rated. Rated much better than the ones we discussed above. I suspect that if you can pick up a 24" model for the same money you will be getting a good deal. Quality seems to follow in a given product line.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

.

I'm going to stop at a couple of "independent dealers" on the way home, but unless they can beat the Sno Tek machine at HD, I'll probably get that one.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

.

I just called a local independent dealer and got this info:

The price on the Ariens Sno-Tek is set by Ariens, so it's going to be $599.99 regardless of where I buy it. This promo price is probably going to be around until mid-November, then it'll go back up to list until mid-February, and then back down again.

He also carries a Troy Bilt $599.99 model and said you can just look at the Ariens and see the better quality.

He added that the advantage of getting it from them over a Home Depot is that they are an authorized service shop. If I had a warranty problem at HD, they'd send us to them anyway, but their own customers get priority over non-customers.

He wasn't putting down the HD staff, but he did hint that I might be more confident in having it assembled by an authorized service shop as opposed to someone at a home center.

He's got one on the floor for me to play with, so I'm going to stop by tomorrow.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Be real surprised if you can find an Ariens for the same price as an MTD. Quick Google for 24" 2-stage shows a couple of hundred bucks more. For single-driveway use, it probably doesn't matter much. If I had a lot to plow, I'd go with a premium brand, but the generics are 'good enough' for most of us.

Don't most 'real' tractor stores turn their nose up at the generics?

Reply to
aemeijers