Snow Throwers

I'm planning to buy a new Snow Thrower and I'd like to know your experience and advice.

I have narrowed it down to a few models at three stores, Lowes, Home Depot and Sears.

I like the smaller and lighter single stage units and they clean right down to the sidewalk (the auger directly contacts the surface). The larger and heavy two-stage throwers leave a layer of snow on the sidewalks which then has to be shoveled, which is double the work. Typical snowfall here is 6 to 9 inches and every few years we get a big storm that drops 3 feet of snow.

What's your experience and advice on snow throwers?

The models I like in order are: Sears Craftsman 5.0 hp Single Stage $449.99 Lowes Troy-Bilt=AE 5.5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower $459.00 Home Depot Yard Machines 5.5 HP Single Stage $399.00 Lowes MTD 5.0 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower $378.00 Home Depot Toro 2450 CCR $649.00

The Sears model is at

at:
The Lowes models at
are at:
and
The links at
won't work when posted so you have to go to the main page and type "snow throwers" in the search box if you want to look at them.

If the links don't work, here are some details:

Sears Craftsman is Sears item #07188150000 Mfr. model #88150000

5=2E0 HP Briggs & Stratton 4-cycle engine Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $449.99, with Electric start, No mixing gas and oil, 22 In. clearing width, 12 =BD inch intake height, 190 degree remote chute rotation, 92 Lbs.

Lowes Troy-Bilt=AE is Item #: 96050 Model: 96050

5=2E5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $459.00 with Electric start, 4 cycle engine, No mixing gas & oil, 21 In. clearing width, manual chute rotation, 82 lbs.

Home Depot Yard Machines Model 31AS231-729

5=2E5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $399.00 with Electric start, requires Gas & Oil Mixing, 21 In. clearing width, 11 In. intake height, Auger/Clutch control system eliminates restarts, 180 degree manual chute rotation, Folding handle for easy storage, 78 Lbs.

Lowes MTD Item #: 96002 Model: 96002

5=2E0 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price $378.00, requires Gas & Oil Mixing, 21 In. clearing width, manual chute rotation, 67 lbs.

Home Depot Toro Model 38516

141 cc Toro R*Tek=AE 5 HP engine, 2450 CCR Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $649.00 with Electric start, requires Gas & Oil Mixing, 20 In. clearing width, manual chute rotation, 71lbs.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply to
marybeth

None of those machines will clear the packed snow at the end of the driveway from the plows going by. During the average snow storm around here, those plows go by and re-pack the end of everybody's driveways about 4-6 times. Do yourself a BIG favor and get yourself a nice Ariens 2-stage with at least 7.5 hp. I'm completely serious. If set up properly, a 2-Stage machine will hardly leave any snow on pavement. You won't be shoveling twice. What's left could be swept with a stiff broom in minutes if you really need it to be that clean. During actual snow storms, snow gets blown around anyway. Your single stage may get the walk "slightly" cleaner, but that will only last until the next gust of wind.

I had both a single stage and a 2-stage. I finally gave the single stage away to someone who really needed it, because I hadn't bothered with it at all for 2 winters.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Any reason you want a single stage? For the $649 you're contemplating on that toro, I got a craftsman 2 stage, elec. start, 6 forward/2 reverse speeds, it beats the hell out of any single stage snowblower I ever had, and I've had a few.. I'd say don't get one if you have a lot of heavy snow.. They're fine for a few inches of dust, but a foot of heavy northern wisconsin snow will make em choke..

Reply to
mfreak

I agree,

once the snow is "heavy" the single stage stops working. Its nice for three-four inches of light fluffy snow .

For $550 you can get a two stage snowthrower at Wal-mart that will do a much better job in all snow conditions.

Reply to
marks542004

H-O-N-D-A Hondas are well built and they will last a lifetime. The rubber blades wiil handle even the lightest to the heaviest of snow falls. I have used my Honda for the past 20 years in some heavy NJ storms. I would buy another one tomorrow if this one dies, simple design makes this Honda a "single stage one of a kind reliable machine". I suggest stepping up to the two stage models on the manufacturers you are considering, you won't regret it. Do check out a Honda.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
chuckster

Reply to
bigjim

ote:

t with

Reply to
bigjim

These are kickass products even if they are JAP.

Steve Barker LT

Reply to
Robert Barr

I just bought the same machine and am looking forward to first big snow too. Saleman said it would have handled the 22 incher we had last winter. Makes no sense in buying a machine that will not handle your greatest need.

Frrank

Reply to
Frank

I think it was "Steve Barker LT" who stated:

JAP quit production in 1945, when they were taken over by Villiers. SWEET motorcycles, though:

For snowblowers, I can heartily recommend Toros. I had one that kept up really well in town and for three or four years after moving out into the sub-suburban area I'm in now. Then we had a REAL snowfall so THIS is what removes our snow now:

(It's actually 42")

Get the Toro.

Reply to
Don Fearn

seems you misunderstood.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

I think it was "Steve Barker LT" who stated:

Understood EXACTLY.

Reply to
Don Fearn

Don't buy your snowblower from a big box store. Go to a garden equipment supplier. I have an 8 hp Airens 2 stage. It clears 2 feet of heavy wet snow in one take. The specialty supplier will set it up, probably deliver at no charge and teach you how to operate it and be there if you have problems or need maintenance. The big box store will not do any of that and just tell you to take it (as if you could carry it) to a repair shop.

I have narrowed it down to a few models at three stores, Lowes, Home Depot and Sears.

I like the smaller and lighter single stage units and they clean right down to the sidewalk (the auger directly contacts the surface). The larger and heavy two-stage throwers leave a layer of snow on the sidewalks which then has to be shoveled, which is double the work. Typical snowfall here is 6 to 9 inches and every few years we get a big storm that drops 3 feet of snow.

What's your experience and advice on snow throwers?

The models I like in order are: Sears Craftsman 5.0 hp Single Stage $449.99 Lowes Troy-Bilt® 5.5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower $459.00 Home Depot Yard Machines 5.5 HP Single Stage $399.00 Lowes MTD 5.0 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower $378.00 Home Depot Toro 2450 CCR $649.00

The Sears model is at

at:
The Lowes models at
are at:
and
The links at
won't work when posted so you have to go to the main page and type "snow throwers" in the search box if you want to look at them.

If the links don't work, here are some details:

Sears Craftsman is Sears item #07188150000 Mfr. model #88150000

5.0 HP Briggs & Stratton 4-cycle engine Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $449.99, with Electric start, No mixing gas and oil, 22 In. clearing width, 12 ½ inch intake height, 190 degree remote chute rotation, 92 Lbs.

Lowes Troy-Bilt® is Item #: 96050 Model: 96050

5.5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $459.00 with Electric start, 4 cycle engine, No mixing gas & oil, 21 In. clearing width, manual chute rotation, 82 lbs.

Home Depot Yard Machines Model 31AS231-729

5.5 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $399.00 with Electric start, requires Gas & Oil Mixing, 21 In. clearing width, 11 In. intake height, Auger/Clutch control system eliminates restarts, 180 degree manual chute rotation, Folding handle for easy storage, 78 Lbs.

Lowes MTD Item #: 96002 Model: 96002

5.0 HP Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price $378.00, requires Gas & Oil Mixing, 21 In. clearing width, manual chute rotation, 67 lbs.

Home Depot Toro Model 38516

141 cc Toro R*Tek® 5 HP engine, 2450 CCR Single Stage Snow Thrower, Price: $649.00 with Electric start, requires Gas & Oil Mixing, 20 In. clearing width, manual chute rotation, 71lbs.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply to
EXT

The ones you are looking at are just above the toy category. If you have a

20' long driveway, it will do. If you have serious snow, you can do better. Much better. Two stage is far superior and does not leave the residue you speak of. They may be sufficient if you have a small area. They are definitely better than a shovel.

Go to a real outdoor equipment store, not the stores you are looking at, if you are serious. These models won't easily remove the plowed snow left by the town trucks. I recall clearing my entire driveway with a single stage in 15 minutes, then spending 30 to 45 minutes trying to do the last couple of feet.

The electric start is nice to have though. My next one will have it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I am sorta shopping to replace my off-brand 2 sstage 5 hp. Requirements are:

2 stage Minimum 6.5 hp Powered chute rotation. Electric start? Haven't decided. Sounds good but I somehow see being caught with a dead machine out in the state's plow berm and a dead battery. Track drive? - Dunno. I don't like the horseing around needed to get it into the shed.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Some electric starts are 120V with an extension cord in the garage. You still have the option of a pull start.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
somedaysoon22

I have narrowed it down to a few models at three stores, Lowes, Home Depot and Sears. ==========================

Why have you narrowed it down to three dealers who can't give you the type of service you'll need in the future? Do you know how to maintain these things yourself?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And the pricing is surprisingly similar. I picked out the Ariens I liked by comparing features on their website. It was a year when Home Depot was carrying the brand as well. I went to my local tractor store and got the same machine for the same price as Home Depot. I didn't have to negotiate that price either. That was their normal price. The big difference is that the tractor store carries Ariens EVERY year, and has mechanics that go to Ariens training seminars, so parts and service will never be a problem. That's good, because Ariens have a reputation for last 30+ years. Home Depot and Lowes change vendors constantly, depending on who they can squeeze the most.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan