Who sells snowblowers (snow-throwers) in Michigan?

What are some names of big-box (and medium-box) stores in Michigan (Detroit to Port-Huron area) that sell snowblowers?

Here in Ontario, nobody sells snowblowers in the $500 to $1100 price range (which is a crock) so I'm going to buy one in Michigan. But to do some comparative shopping either on the web or buy phone I need to know who sells them.

Please post any responses (don't e-mail me).

Thanks.

Reply to
Some Guy

Home Depot and Lowes sell them here in DE. Would imagine everyone sells them further north.

Reply to
Frank

Hmmm, Why bother? Global warming. I haven't used mine in years. I just use leaf blower to clear my drive way, LOL! Sears doesn't have it? You don't have John Deere dealer around there? from Calgary

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I live in the snow belt of SW-Ontario. We get lake-effect snow in the winter.

I'm looking for a 28" to 36" (wide), 2-stage blower. 7 to 12 hp.

Nobody in Ontario is selling a blower like that for less than $1100. They aren't selling anything in the $500 to $1100 price range. All the stuff under $500 are the wimpy single-stage blowers.

A couple years ago I was able to get a 24", 7 (or 9?) hp sears blower (2-stage) for $800. I should be able to get a 36", 12 hp blower for that price today...

Reply to
Some Guy

on 10/27/2007 11:27 AM Some Guy said the following:

Go to the Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes sites. Go to the 'where to buy' link. Enter a zip code for Detroit or Port Huron, or any other zip you may want to visit. They should list a store location near that zip.

Reply to
willshak

Who doesn't?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Almost everybody. Got my last* one at TSC (Tractor Supply Corp. or Company). Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Meijers, Sams, Cosco, etc. all have them in the $500 to +++ range. And now your Canadian dollar is worth a lot more in the States!

I moved to Arizona in 2006 after spending 60+ years in the snow belt. Ah.........

Reply to
DonC

Surely you jest. Until 2006 I lived near Lansing, Michigan. Bad winters are as frequent as good winters there.

Reply to
DonC

Hi, That's why I moved out here from S.S. Marie in 1970. Tired of shovelling thick wet snow., LOL! Good luck finding one while exchange rate is favorable.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It currently is about a 3.0% difference.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:37:54 GMT from Tony Hwang :

You used to live on a steamship?

:-)

Reply to
Stan Brown

That fact that you can't find one at $800 is a good indication that a blower the size you want is gonna cost more. And that's been my experience. For a blower the size you want, I think $1100 is probably a cheaply made underpowered machine. What's wrong with a 24" 8hp blower for $800?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

By itself, that's an irrelevant piece of information.

In the last 12 months the Canadian $ is worth about 16% more in the States.

In the last 5 years the change has been a whopping 60%!

In other terms, a snow blower costing $1000-Canadian last year will cost only $862 this year.

Reply to
DonC

Just a bit of holiday humor,

Q. Why did the snowman drop his pants? A. He saw the snow blower coming.

and now back to our regularly scheduled newsgroup already in progress....

Reply to
coffee

Not when your currency has appreciated by 20% over the same time frame.

I need another blower at a different location.

Anyone know (or speculate) how a flame thrower would work at clearing a driveway? I'm half serious about that...

Reply to
Some Guy

Probably not very well and then you have the water to contend with.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"U.S. troops used flamethrowers on the streets of Washington D.C. to clear snow (as mentioned in a December 1998 article in San Francisco Flier), one of several clearance methods used for the surprisingly large amount of snow that fell before the presidential inauguration of John F. Kennedy."

"The cleanup of the Blizzard of 1920 included the bizarre sight of soldiers from the chemical warfare service of the United States Army using fuel-spewing flamethrowers to melt snow and ice."

See also:

That's where salt comes in.

Reply to
Some Guy

Do you expect the kind hearted businesses to drop prices because of a currency adjustment?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

They don't have to:

1) You take your Canadian $$ to an exchange place (bank, etc.); 2) they give you 20% more US dollars than they would have a year ago; 3) you buy your snow blower with your newly acquired US dollars; 4) the "kind hearted businesses" are happy to get their advertised price and the "happy Canadian" is pleased to pay 20% less in Canadian dollars than he would have a year ago.
Reply to
DonC

So far no word on a on the $800 snow blower yet. I'm not holding my breath.

Reply to
Chas Hurst