The New Table Saw Purchasing Process Update

OK, I have for sure placed the SawStop on order and expect it to be delivered early to middle next week. The local WoodCraft stores do not stock the industrial saws and come directly from SawStop in Washington. Apparently this takes 5~7 work days and it has now been 8. That said there has been some pretty extreme cold weather for this time of year and that is probably a factor.

While talking to the SawStop people two weeks ago, this coming Monday, to hammer down any should or should nots the rep suggested finding the hydraulic assist lift mobile base ASAP as they were not in stock and are on a 4~6 week B/O status. I contacted my WoodCraft dealer to assure that I would get one but they too were out as was the other local WoodCraft. I was advised to buy the mobile base where ever I could find it. Circle Saw Supply, another local supplier, had them in stock and I bought it immediately on Tuesday last week so that is handles.

I also am going with the HTC 15 roller out feed again however WOW, HTC wants $500 to sell and ship it to me and guess what, they are on B/O. I have to be careful which version I buy, the later universal mount style is needed because of the lower back dust port on the saw. So finding an older unit will not work. I finally locate on at Seven Corner Hardware in MN, It is the new universal style, $299.00 +$10 for shipping. Sold! Wednesday morning last week I get an e-mail that the item has not shipped because shipping will actually be $70, not $10. We do some negotiating and I settle on $50, so not we are talking $350 shipped. The out feed roller arrived Monday this week but things are not looking good as it is unloaded from the UPS truck. The two boxes had been rained on and two corners were worn open, not simply torn open. So the UPS guy suggests inspecting before accepting and this reveals that it had also been dropped and it was no longer square. I refused shipment. I notified Seven Corners Hardware and they advised me that this unit was their last and were not getting any more. Credit would be issued when they got it back. I was notified that credit was issued today.

Tuesday I called Grizzly about the out feed roller and talked to the lady and she suggests that I talk to the technical department to insure that the version that I am looking for will be the latest universal model. I talk to Greg at Grizzly and explain the situation which he is unaware of although he take charge and makes sure he understands the situation and how to tell the difference from new and old style. He said it would take a couple of days to call for an inspection and he gave me a reference number. I call ed back yesterday morning and with the reference number was told that the inquiry had just been updated and that the unit was indeed the later universal design. I immediately placed the order and it should be here on Monday.

That's all for now.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for the update. It just goes to show if you want to do something with a product other than what is stocked locally, you can be in for an adventure.

You certainly can't do anything about mama nature. It is interesting that the lift kit was in short supply as well. And you were smart to inspect it on delivery. That saved you some grief. And you were obviously shopping around. That saved some money. And you had a good experience with Grizzly. I have dealt with them for almost 30 years. If I ever had a problem, I just gave them a call and they took care of me. It seems to me that SawStop should have some kind of roller extension table available for their saws. If the Grizzly rollers work out well for you, maybe some other folks can benefit from your experience.

Hey, maybe you can even make an atrocious YouTube video with nauseating music! ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

As Rosanne Rosana-Dana said - "It's always sumpthin". ;-)

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Boy Howdy

The Grizzly out feed is actually HTC.

And a way jiggly camera. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

You know, that is also my favorite expression to use. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Oh and as a follow up to why the SawStop hydraulic mobile base is on B/0, they offer it as an upgrade mobile base for the pro version saw also and apparently people like the mobile base so much that they are buying it for other things like stationary planers etc. It will handle

1000 lbs.
Reply to
Leon

That whole exercise reminded me why I'm so glad to not be working anymore sort off. Doing electrical contracting the big problems was frequently things being promised and then not being delivered when promised. Anyway glad it worked out OK for you, but I'm sure the phone time wiped out your savings on the better price.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

No kidding ... Currently 400 miles from the shop and the material I need to finish the job, promised 4/22, is suddenly "back ordered" until 5/1. :(

Reply to
Swingman

The pencil pushers have taken over and convinced business that actually having product on hand to sell is evil.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I always remember that great line used with great irony in the movie "Bridge Over the River Kwai"

"then, there's always the unexpected..."

You can't plan for everything, and sometimes it seems you can't plan for anything.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I'm sure there is some sort of inverse relationship between delivery time and distance to the job site. Usually never had to deal with anything over 150 miles away. An extra 400 mile round trip will definitely take a dent out of profits.

Reply to
Mike M

guess that should be 800 miles round trip.

Reply to
Mike M

Under normal circumstances that would be a minor expense, he has been up there for 2 weeks so far.

Reply to
Leon