Drilling holes in joists

As part of this extension project (that I keep asking questions about) I'll need to drill lots of holes in joists. In the past I've "made do" with a short spade bit in a drill held at an angle but it's not very satisfactory - presumably a right angle drill is the correct tool for the job. Can anyone suggest a sensibly priced right angle drill, or a decent right-angle drilling attachment for a regular drill?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Probably best to hire a RA drill.

Right angled drill attachments are pretty poor in my experience but may be ok if you are just drilling a few holes.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Uless your joists are particularly close together, you should be able to get a short-bodied single speed drill (i.e. without the added length of 2-speed gearbox, hammer action etc.) plus spade bit in square without needing to drill at an angle. [Even my old B&D 2-speed hammer drill plus spade bit is only 14" long, and will *just* go in - even if it means starting at an angle until the point is embedded, and then straightening it up].

Reply to
Set Square

Unless your joists are really close together I would use a cut down spade bit. Grind some flats on the end to stop it slipping.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

I have a Makita angle drill that I have had for some time and use quite a lot. It's a great deal better than angle attachments on a regular drill.

Voltage is only 12v but it is geared to a greater degree than conventional drills and so while running slower has good torque.

For joist drilling, I use it with auger bits which are a lot easier to use than spade bits.

Other applicaions like screwdriving in awkward corners make it worth buying one of these if you have a fair amount to do.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think your first question should be "do I really need all these holes in the joists". A bit of planning can reduce the number considerably.

Reply to
G&M