Halogen Lighting and Touch Dimmer compatiblity

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a halogen ceiling light from Ikea - "Fartyg" to be precise, and a touch sensitive dimmer from B&Q

.Are they compatible to use together?

The dimmer states it can be used with:

- Most dimmable electronic low voltage transformers (including those requiring trailing-edge control)

- GU10 or similar HiSpot mains halogen bulbs Not suitable for:

- Wire-wound or toridal transformers

How do I know what sort the light has? I've contacted Ikea but have yet to get an answer. What would happen if I were to use the two and they weren't compatible?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Reply to
AndyM

You say the light fitting has "GU10 or similar HiSpot mains halogen bulbs" so they are mains voltage and not low voltage so a dimmer should be fine.

Reply to
BigWallop

> lse&PRODID=170591&paintCatId=&maxBullets=999).

Sorry if I wasn't clear, its the dimmer that supports the GU10 bulbs. The light has 12V bulbs I think.

Andy

Reply to
AndyM

Then you really need a dimmer which will be compatable with the transformer that runs the light fitting. The most commonly used transformers now are electronic types but there are still some which use either toroidial or parallel wire coil windings, so you need to check which style transformer your light fitting works from then choose a dimmer switch to suit it.

Sorry I can't be of any more help on the specific types because I don't know which light fitting you have.

Reply to
BigWallop

transformer that

How would I tell the difference? If I took a photo would you be able to tell me?

Andy

Reply to
AndyM

The light fitting should tell you on a plate or sticker, or even on the side of the box that it came in, so any info' from this will give an idea of what you'd need.

Reply to
BigWallop

There's absolutely no indication of what sort of transformer it uses on the box or light itself. Judging by the weight of it I'd assume there must be some kind of wire coil inside. I'm just going to take the dimmer back while its still under guarantee and swap it for a standard switch. They don't seem to make touch switches for low voltage lighting.

Thanks for your help

Andy

Reply to
AndyM