Confused: new fused spur labelled in/out rather than load/feed

I am simply replacing my old sockets in my kitchen after decorating but a fused spur i am replacing for my dishwasher is causing me a problem.

The existing faceplate is labelled: FEED IN FEED OUT LOAD IN LOAD OUT

But the new one is labelled: LIVE IN LIVE OUT NEUTRAL IN NEUTRAL OUT

PLUS EARTH ON BOTH

My question is what equates to what?

Just to be clear the unit is like this one...

Any help very much appreciated. Daz

Reply to
dazzle

You presumably have one cable (the supply) with a red wire going to "feed in" and a black wire going to "feed out". You have another cable (the load) with a red wire going to "load in" and a black wire going to "load out".

If this is not the case, stop reading!

In which case: "feed in" becomes "live in", (the red supply wire) "feed out" becomes "neutral in", (the black supply wire) "load in" becomes "live out" (the red load wire) "load out" becomes "neutral out", (the black load wire)

Earths as before.

If you have one or more new cables, the following colours will be present:

protective earth was Green now Green/yellow striped Neutral was Black now Blue Single phase live was Red now Brown

Reply to
Palindr☻me

I do have three sets of wires present, but as I have not unconnected them, so i will rewire them into the sockets you mention above.

Wow, i love the internet, thanks for your help Sue.

Reply to
dazzle

Sorry, should have thought of that - you have two red wires going to the "feed in" and two black wires going to the "feed out"? If so, the spur socket is wired into the ring.

If not, stop what you are doing!

It is always better to post a link to a photograph or two or a sketch of what you can see - as words alone can be easily misinterpreted.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Wow, I am glad that you're not wiring something for me.

: Live (FEED) In = Red Cables : FEED These are the cables from ring main : Neutral (FEED) In = Black cables

: Live Out = Brown cable : LOAD These to your appliance : Neutral Out = Blue cables

-- troubleinstore

Reply to
troubleinstore

That is why I wrote the bit you snipped, "if this isn't what you have - stop" and wrote in detail where I presumed the wires from each cable were going, for the OP to check to see if that matched what he had.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

So, what do you think I got wrong?

How do you think, for the original spur, the four terminals, "feed in", "feed out", "load in" and "load out" are/were connected?

"Feed in" is obviously supply live, from the ring.

"Feed out" could either be interpreted to be the supply neutral or the the live outlet to the load , but, if the latter, then what is "load in" connected to?

Reply to
Palindr☻me

But you have it wrong with this also Sue

How can "feed out" become neutral in ?

In which case: "feed in" becomes "live in", (the red supply wire) "feed out" becomes "neutral in", (the black supply wire) "load in" becomes "live out" (the red load wire) "load out" becomes "neutral out", (the black load wire)

Reply to
troubleinstore

Well, "feed out" *could* be the live connection to the load. That sounds right. But, in which case, what is "load in" connected to?

And if "load in" is the live connection to the load, then "load out" must be the load neutral. And "feed out" must be the neutral to the supply...

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Mmmm think I am totally to blame...the connections on the back of the connector are in fact....

N FEED N LOAD L FEED L LOAD

Which makes a load (excuse the pun) more sense....

for me...

Reply to
dazzle

So...my interpretation of this is:

N FEED = N IN N LOAD = N OUT L FEED = L IN L LOAD = L OUT

Now I have thought about it - this makes much more sense.

Really, really sorry for any confusion - just wanted to get it done before it goes dark!

Reply to
dazzle

No worries! Your current (sorry...) post explains all.

Hope you have it all done by now.

Reply to
Palindr☻me