Seeking 6" x 6" perspex?

Further to my post a few weeks ago asking about an LCD screen for a rowing machine computer (see below FWIW) I managed to track down a replacment computer and before mounting it, want to make damned sure the screen's properly protected this time. I thought I'd just cover it with a small sheet of transparent perspex, about 4 or 5 mm thick should do it

- but all I need is a tiny bit about 6" square. I can't think where I'd be able to get some without having to buy a whole massive sheet - anyone any thoughts?

Or thinking laterally, any cheap item I could easily buy to cannibalise? (eg, a CD case cover would be ideal except that the perpsex isn't thick/strong enough). I'm sure there must be something.

Or anything better for the purpose in mind?!

Thanks David

(or

Lobster

George

Walk into the local Perspex supplier and ask about offcuts.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
George

Reply to
George

box lid - not 100% transparent but unbreakable.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Local sign maker. A decent one will have offcuts in all colours and thicknesses. Including clear and tints.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've just bought a piece about 2ft X 1ft X 5mm on ebay for about a fiver delivered - plenty of other sizes about. Franko.

Reply to
Franko

Look up sign makers in your local area. They will almost certainly be able to supply you with a suitable off-cut.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Try a few of your local shops/supermarket - they often have this sort of thing on old displays stashed around the back.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I believe that this lot do mail order and often have small off cuts worth a ring.

And why not get it done in polycarbonate, much stronger that simple perspex;)...

tony sayer

The ebay suggestion was great - why didn't I think of that - is there nothing you can't buy on it?!

And I didn't appreciate the difference between polycarbonate and PMMA, and as this is specifically for impact protection that was really worth knowing.

So just scored myself an A4-sized bit of polycarbonate off ebay for 4 quid, without even having to lift my butt - so a good result, thanks!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I want some teak to repair an old garden teak chair and Ebay didn't oblige me for that ! First time it's failed me !

Rob

Reply to
robgraham