Drill bit choice

I am attempting to drill into a concrete ceiling for light fixings. I am using an Erbauer 24v hammer drill and Dewalt Extreme masonry bits. I am finding that the concrete is simply too tough and the bits keep breaking. Can anyone suggest alternative tools?

Reply to
Simon1974

Simon1974 formulated the question :

An SDS drill plus SDS bits - like a hot knife through butter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Seconded.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Thirded...

However Have you made sure you are not trying to drill rebar embedded in the concrete?

If you don't have a SDS to play with then either a) Buy one (Makita HR2450X is nice), or b) try one of these first:

found they actually drill very very well in masonry (to the extent that a wall I had previously written off as "undrillable" without a SDS actually did not put up too much fight against one of these bits in a

18V combi.
Reply to
John Rumm

Probably won't last 20 years but who cares?

Reply to
dennis

That's nice... Makro will do you one for 12 quid if you want.

Depends on how much you like your wrists I suppose.

There is much more to consider with SDS drills than just the life and the purchase cost. Safety clutch is one, weight another, and finesse of control another.

Reply to
John Rumm

Simon1974 explained :

Just noticed that Netto have an heavy duty mains powered SDS drill on special offer as from today at £19.99. This is the 3way type - drill only, hammer only or combined drill + hammer.

They are rather heavy and tiring for ceiling use though not impossible.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On the subject of safety clutches, its an absolute minefield trying to find out which ones have them fitted. Manufacturer's websites and others like Axminster/Screwfix/Lawsons etc are hopeless. They'll tell you the weight of the thing and the max drill size and depth in various materials, the claimed motor wattage etc but hardly ever - actually make that *never* any mention of the safety clutch.

Any chance of assembling a definitive list of common drill makes and models that are known to have a clutch and sticking it in the FAQ?

Reply to
Matt

In my humble opinion it is never worth buying cheap tools...

I am not a tool junkie, but I have learnt the hard way and try to find stuff that is good value (without paying for the name on the front) that takes in how often I use it.

I don't have any DeWalt and I reckon the better quality Bosch usually hit the balance just about right, but I generally have my tools provided for me at work, so most I buy are for home projects.

Just to be even more anally retentive about it, you'll just be wasting your time,petrol and energy making journeys to and from shop replacing them under warrantee, not to mention a couple of kilos of metal that could have been made into something good!!

Reply to
watereed2003

Yup, good idea. I will see what information I can get together.

As a general rule however I get the impression that if you buy one of the (genuine) pro level tools (rather than one that just has "pro" in the title!) then you get a clutch. I am not aware of any Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, Hitachi, or Metabo _without_ at a clutch.

As you say however, getting actual information other than by personal experiance is difficult.

Reply to
John Rumm

Has the answers. The rawlplug FAQ will explain why you keep breaking drills.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt