breaking concrete - SDS drill ?

Hi

I was reading with interest the thread about cheap SDS drills.

I spent several hours last weekend trying to chip away at a concrete footing for a fence post with a hammer and cold chisel I decided that I fancy a new toy.

Given that I usually buy tools at the cheaper end of the range am I realistic in thinking that some form of SDS drill (with rotary stop I guess) would assist me in finishing this job or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

Forget a cheap SDS drill for breaking concrete. Either hire a proper demolition hammer, or (more realistically for such a small job) use a large sledge hammer.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

might be a bit weak unless you spend a lot. I wouldn't usually use an sds drill like a concrete breaker, odd bricks yes., but I have found that using an sds drill to actually drill a few holes through concrete makes it break up very easily, you can then use a point either in a roto stop sds or just with a hammer to break it up

Reply to
mrcheerful

I tried a sledge hammer but unforteunatly the concrete is buried in the ground (obviously ) and it surrounded by bushes and a tarmac'd drive. There doesnt really seem to be enough room to get a sledge hammer in there.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

Try getting a large wrecking bar under the edge. If the concrete's under say

4", you can often lift whole sections sufficiently to whack it with a hammer. Once you have any sort of gap under it, it breaks easily.
Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks Stuart,

I suspect there may well be a couple of foot of concrete which will probably make it hard to remove in one section !

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

Hi Tim

If it's only one fence post footing I'd go for the cheap SDS.

Drill a few holes to weaken it then use the point chisel to open up the holes into cracks.

Dave

Reply to
Magician

As others have contributed, a cheap SDS is unlikely to give you much pleasure in this environment.

Depending upon the size of the concrete slab another possible option would be to dig underneath if you can, then light a fire beneath. That's how the attackers brought down castles in the good old days before Black Adder I took place.....

Stand well back or shield with netting though - the concrete could explode and spit a bit.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Won't work, been there done that... ;-) and that was with a Bosch then a Dewalt SDS neither are big enough for that sort of job.

Lump hammer and a chisel with plastic hand guard is your best bet, just keep bashing away at it and it'll break up/split eventually.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Anything over 50mm thick forget that idea, go hire the right tool for the job. Kango breaker for about £20.

Reply to
Mark

A few months back when I needed to drill about 20 holes into a concrete slab for some expanding bolts, I bought an SDS drill from screwfix for £30.00 and a set of bits for about £15.00. It may have been a bit cheaper to hire the drill, but at the end of the job I get to keep the one I bought. It did make very light work of the whole job and would have been so much easier than using an ordinary drill.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

One of the cheap 5kg ones should manage it. Don't buy anything lighter as it will overheat. I have one of the B&Q ones for demolition work to save wear and tear on my DeWalt which I keep for 'constructive' work and it's been okay for this sort of work.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for all the replies. There seems to be a two different opinions which is interesting.

I would have been tempted to try and keep breaking away at it with a chisel and hammer but unfortunately I cant even see how big it is, so this is somewhat disheartening.

I think I might hire a Kango breaker.....

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

Once you have used an SDS you will not go back. Wickes are having a sale and are selling at the mo' a 610w for £80 down for £110 and a 700w for £110 down from £150 (I have this model). Made by Kress in Germany and rebadged for Wickes. The £80 job is well worth it.

These are equiv to any Makita, DeWalt etc, are pro tools with a 3 yr guarantee and been around for 10 years plus. Very well made and sturdy.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

This sounds like sometihing I could do with myself... I *may* have the pleasure of digging a copper water pipe out of a concrete floor - would an SDS be the demon tool I could use for that? If you can spare a mo' - tell an ignorant one (me) what this SDS thing is!

Reply to
Dave

Hi Dave This sounds like sometihing I could do with myself... I *may* have the pleasure of digging a copper water pipe out of a concrete floor - would an SDS be the demon tool I could use for that? If you can spare a mo' - tell an ignorant one (me) what this SDS thing is!

Reply to
Magician

My £25 drill seems to deliver over twice the impact of others mentioned, so whyever not?

Well, if we're into daft suggestions, dig around the block, fill the hole back up with ppuddling clay, pour in a bucket of brick acid, repeat as necessary. Alternatively just wait until erosion has taken care of the job.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks for the tip-off. Sorted.

Jim A