SDS Max drill getting stuck in concrete hole

I have a Bosch hammer/demolition tool 11311EVS. The 5/8 drill SDS Max in it drills concrete like butter. This Bosch does not rotate the drill, only hammers it in a chipping action. The problem is that each

1/2 inch depth gets the drill bit stuck, as in you can't pull it out of the hole without great difficulty wiggling and pulling and trying to turn it clockwise and counterclockwise the slightest bit that it would let me. All that motion is begining to hurt my back. I've tried hammering a bit then pulling out to clear the bit of debris every 1/2 inch but it still gets stuck. Is there some technique to this, or am I just using the wrong tool? I don't think this demo hammer has a rotary function. I'm only trying to drill to 2 1/2 inches in concrete. Some advise please?
Reply to
trg-s338

the name of it is Bosch hammer/demolition tool. what makes you think it is a drill? rtfm.

Reply to
charlie

*Sounds like the wrong tool. You need a rotary hammer which will drill and hammer at the same time.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Indeed it is not exactly the right tool. But using it again today for drilling, I've found out that rotating the demo hammer around the drill axis as it hammers does a decent job of simulating the drill hammer. The bit was much easier to remove once my depth has been achieved. This is the only tool I have close enough for the purpose and in these tough times, it is not so easy to have exactly every tool for every job especially if it is not used often enough to justify the cost. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
trg-s338

Use a shop while "drilling", it will help remove the concrete debris & reduce the chances of getting the bit stuck in the hole.

You are kind of simulating the action of a "star drill" ...what used to be used to drill hole in concrete before rotary hammers became commonplace.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

The duller the bit becomes the more it loses the relief that was ground into it making it prone to jamming.

Reply to
beecrofter

Yes It sounds like the drill bit is acting like it thinks it's a SCREW being hammered in with an impact wrench.

Reply to
First Time

You can rent the proper tool from the local big orange box for $10 for a half day, $15 for 24 hours. If you're that poor, then you really shouldn't be doing home improvements.

Reply to
mkirsch1

" If you're that poor, then you really shouldn't be doing home improvements."

*LOL. Yes it is a law that one must be at a certain income level in order to work on his own house.

Actually I was quite surprised that his method is working, but when another poster mentioned about the handheld star drills it reminded me of when I worked for my dad in the 1960's. Before he bought a hammer drill we would always make our holes in masonry for anchors by hand. I would continuously bang the star drill while at the same time rotate it. This guy is doing the same thing except the machine is doing much of the work.

Having been to a few third world countries and islands I was always amazed how the locals would improvise with what they had to get things done. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a piece of rope and a piece of wood being used as a pipe wrench. In this country we have a tool for every little thing.

Reply to
John Grabowski

John-

Did we have the same dad? ;)

I only did a very few holes with a star drill (in the 60's) but I sure do appreciate having a couple rotary hammers now.

OP-

I left out the word "vac" as in shop vac.....your method is crude but effective.

Ignore the post about "being too poor" to execute DIY projects. I guess that poster doesn't know about "making do" or how capital is accumulated.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

John-

Did we have the same dad? ;)

I only did a very few holes with a star drill (in the 60's)

"but I sure do appreciate having a couple rotary hammers now."

*Amen to that. Cinder block and red brick wern't too bad by hand, but concrete and concrete block took forever.
Reply to
John Grabowski

The last time I used a star drill was to anchor a tire changer or a concrete slab. Molten sulfur was poured in the holes to anchor the bolts.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I did quite a few and had an approximately equal number of quite painful blisters. When you need to cut holes in stone... hammer drills rock!

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar