Concrete fastners WITHOUT using a hammer drill

Hey guys,

Sorry for the seemingly dumb question, but I need to attach some PVC conduit to my foundation using conduit clips. Problem is that I don't have a hammer drill, so I wanted to know if there is any kind of fastener I can use instead that doesn't require a hammer drill but will hold on the concrete outdoors?

If I'm smoking dope, just lemme know and I'll find someone who has a hammer drill.... but I figure there must be something out there.

Thanks,

G. Filicetti

What is the diff between hammer drills and rotary hammers???

I have a hammer drill, myself.

Ignoramus11219

Why not just use a concrete bit in your power drill and then use plastic or lead inserts to hold the screws? Muff

Reply to
Muff

YES!!

You don't need a hammer drill to make holes in concrete, just a regular drill, a cheap carbide bit (which may not survive) and patience. Use Tapcon screws--they rock!

Reply to
donald girod

As nearly as I can tell, a drill just turns, a drill hammer can be set to turn and hammer or just turn, and a rotohammer is a heavy duty version of a drill hammer that only hammers and turns - no "turn only" option.

Now someone is going to check in and tell me about their Binford Roto-Hammer 9000 that has nine horsepower and a no-hammer option. :)

As far as the original post, either a power load nailer or a concrete bit in a regular drill and inserts, as someone else suggested, would probably do the trick.

Reply to
James Gifford

I see the advice on here that you need a hammer drill to drill holes in a foundation. This is total bunk. I have drilled dozens of holes in concrete, cinderblock and brick with regular drills- both corded and cordless. Sure a hammer drill makes faster work of the project, but if you are doing a one-off project, drilling no more than 15 or 20 holes, you will be just fine with a couple of masonry bits and a regular drill (preferably corded).

I prefer Tapcon screws for this application- they screw directly into masonry with no anchors and really hold tight.

Reply to
Chuck

get a box of tapcons the ones that include the concrete bit

Reply to
mark Ransley

I second this experience. Drilling in conrete or brick is difficult. Hammer drilling is much easier although it is not entirely trivial.

Ignoramus11219

quoting:

concrete outdoors?

Try it with a regular drill. If it seems slow, then rent a hammer drill for the day.

Reply to
JM

You don't need a hammer drill...all you need is a masonry bit.

But you'll get each hole done about 75% faster with a hammer drill. And they're cheap now...some under $20.

But a regular FAST drill will do the job. Don't try it with a 500 rpm drill.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Help keep down the world population...have your partner spayed or neutered.

Reply to
Trent©

Pretty much. A rotohammer has a splined bit that can't slip, and is heavy duty enough that you can core a 2" hole through a concrete wall. That is the electric version. You can get bigger with air tools. I have run an air drill that was the same size as a 90 lb. jack hammer, except it turned the bit. The bit was a large (1.5"?) star bit with an air channel in the center to blow the chips out of the hole. Even bigger than that is an air track, that they use for drilling rock for setting explosive charges for quarries.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Actually, your advice is total bunk- to use your genteel vernacular. Much of the aggregate in concrete will simply not be drilled with carbide bit. Hammer-drilled- no problem. Not to mention that it's _much_ simpler to put hole where desired with hammer-drill.

Get your facts straight before getting obnoxious, if I may suggest.

HTH, John

Reply to
John Barry

A hammerdrill is useful for drilling smaller (

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Thanks for your excellent summary Jeff.

Ignoramus11661