Using concrete stain on concrete roof tiles

I have concrete roof tiles of different colors (grayish, white, dark gray) due to previous repair jobs. I looked at various flat roof paints and I don't like it, I don't think you can paint flat "Terra Red" paint on greyish tiles and have it look like the Spanish roof tiles. But I did see a Semi-transparent concrete stain by BEHR (at HD) that is 100% acrylic that looks good on the little sample they had applied to a concrete pad. Says it's ideal for patios, walkways, driveways and garages but did not say roof. I wonder if this will hold up well in hot and rainy south Florida?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

I think the bigger problem is semi-transparent stains work well on bare concrete or concrete that was stained the same color. If you have various colors already there, I don't think a semi-transparent is going to work. The old colors will show through.

I thought roof tiles were actually clay or similar, with the color contained throughout the material? Seems repairs should have been made with matching tiles. If you must cover up what is already there, I'd go with a solid stain, which is alos availabel at HD or most paint stores.

Reply to
trader4

FWIW: I looked into a similar situation a couple of years ago when I couldn't get tiles for my house to match an existing outbuilding. Decided to go with red tile & paint the old ivory ones to match. I've forgotten what the pro tile-painters use, but IRC there was a special paint specifically for the purpose. The pros I talked to at a couple of paint stores all recommended the H&C brand, but couldn't agree on what type I should get - so I ended up buying a gallon of H&C Silicone Acrylic Concrete Sealer and a gallon of H&C Shield Plus Latex Concrete Stain to test. Since I haven't finished laying the new tile yet, I haven't thought to look at the test tiles I painted. Will try to do that soon. I do remember that the tiles need to be carefully pressure washed before painting. HTH

Diane

Reply to
dianedebuda

replying to trader4, David Short wrote: My concrete tile roof has a rough surface that would take the stain (the kind of add in color to color to mortar when laying brick) I wonder about the durability..

Reply to
David Short

As long as it is not a glazed tile it should work. All the tile I have seen in the last couple decades was glazed.

Reply to
gfretwell