Hilti TE22 Hammer Drill

I have just been given one of these drills, and by coincidence need to drill a

150mm core for a bathroom extractor fan.

Now, the drill is 110V, so I would need a transformer. I also have no manual (and cannot find one for download), so I don't even know what kind of drill bits it takes. Does anyone here know whether it is SDS or SDS Plus? The hole in the end of the chuck is exactly 10mm, and that is all I know.

I have the option of spending £25 for a core cutter for the weekend, or spending a little more to get a decent drill I can keep for future jobs. Is it worth purchasing a transformer for this drill, or is it so old now that I drill bits would be hard to obtain.

If anyone has a manual they could scan, that would be most appreciated.

-- Jason

Reply to
Jason

IIRC Hilti use their own proprietery bit design, so SDS and plus may not fit. Take it to a hire shop and try some bits.

RW

TLC charge 40 quid for a proper site transformer - and for that you could get a chunky SDS mains drill which takes standard bits. If it's only for occasional heavy use.

IMHO the problem with most of these cheap SDS drills is not the performance but the excessive weight - if you're using one for wall chasing etc you really need a 2 Kg type, and these smaller ones tend to be much more expensive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good idea. I'll do that.

Reply to
Jason

According to the bathroom scales, this one weighs in at around 5kg, so I guess that makes it a cheaper one (though it is solidly built).

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

It could just be a very powerful one. They can be useful for continuous heavy work - or for say breaking up concrete path where you're not actually lifting up the thing much. But for most DIY tasks are knackeringly heavy to use. Like chasing into a wall which is something an SDS is very useful for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jason saying something like:

There's two versions of the TE22...

Grimly Curmudgeon

shank rather than SDS Plus.

I love the way all those links on that page all point to F:\Documents and Settings\...

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

The TE22 is a baby drill (by Hilti standards), but still might be too chunky to hold at height.

I use concrete drills all the time, and a standard sds bit will fit yours.

You will need a transformer, and maybe a small extension unless you are going to use it all in proximity of a notmal 240v socket.

If I were you, and never otherwise used serious concrete drills, I'd just hire one from the hire shop. A lot less complicated and guaranteed to be working fully!

Good drilling!

Geoff

url:

Geoff Sanders