Removing chuck on B&Q Performance Power NLH1050HD hammer drill

Hi

I have knarled up my chuck and have a new one of a different make to fit but I can't get the old one off. I am told it is a left hand thread on the chuck and I know how to use a lever in the chuck. There is meant to be a screw inside the chuck but if there was it is now all chewed up possibly by a loose masonary bit. I will probably have to drill the head off the screw before I can use the lever method. Has anyone done that and what type and size of screw would I need to replace it? Is it a right hand thread and if it is where do I get one?

Hope someone can check their own drill of this type

Reply to
PeterPan

No idea about that particular drill but on our old drills I used to put the chuck key in and wallop it with something solid to spin the chuck In the normal direction of rotation.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

When you've drilled the head[1] of the machine screw off you'll be able to retrieve the remains of it to identify.

[1] To save trying to drill one drill with another, how about mounting the bit in the vice and then running the drill while pushing the machine screw against it? ie keep the drill bit steady and spin the machine screw!

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

Hi Tim The problem is using a 9" lever in the chuck just makes it tighter because I cant remove the central screw which I assume has the opposite thread Pete No idea about that particular drill but on our old drills I used to put the chuck key in and wallop it with something solid to spin the chuck In the normal direction of rotation.

Tim

Reply to
PeterPan

I tried drilling the retaining screw out but it broke three drill bits but couldn't tell if I had the whole head off - I hadn't... In the end I used a 24" stillson which stripped the thread off 10mm of the end of the screw. Have re-tapped the motor stub using the cut down screw and have successfully fitted the new chuck. The screw is as expected the opposite to usual thread so I couldn't use my tap and die set! For the record the new screw that came with the chuck is a phillips countersunk head.

Reply to
PeterPan