Slightly OT: Street Recabling

Just had a circular from the local PowerCo saying that over the next three months they will be replacing all the mains distribution on the estate - about 200 properties built in the 1980s. We've had many and frequent cable failures in the road, some quite spectacular, & I guess they have decided enough is enough.
Does anyone know what the actual procedure they follow is? They claim occasional planned supply interruptions and property access restrictions but it is hard to imagine how they achieve this without removing old cable sections first & being off supply for protracted periods.
Chris K
On 15/02/13 17:55, Chris K wrote:

What they will probably do is put generators into blocks of houses whilst they fiddle with sections of cable.
Normally the outages will be whilst sections are taken in and out. Not long term..
Then they will dig up and replace the underground cables.. Messy and days.
--
Ineptocracy

Looks like investing in some surge protection is needed then. Feels like taking out a section and replacing it and all the property feeds ought not to be quick but they may have slick methods. Hope the road is wired as a ring rather than single feed as I'm right at the end...
Chris K

It is round here, with pretty old wiring. When it exploded taking out one phase, they simply fed it from the other end until they got round to fixing it. I never knew they could do that. ;-)
--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 00:12:39 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The 11kV here can be fed from either end and there are two routes into that either end. Sections between those points can also be isolated. So a fault in a middle section can be isolated then the rest of the line fed from the ends.
This normally works very well until an ice storm brings down a number of lines and snaps the poles at one end. There isn't an isolator between us and that end so we where off for 36 hours whilst they planted new poles etc...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Saturday 16 February 2013 00:12 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Most street cables are fed from both ends by default for exactly this reason. Usually, where there is a junction (at a road intersection) you'll find a link box with a set of 3 fuses, soemwhere in the 300-500A region.
Cul-de-sacs are the exception, sometimes being one legged - unless the cable has somewhere to go, eg down a footpath at the end and into another road.

On Friday, February 15, 2013 9:44:39 PM UTC, Chris K wrote:

Not for lv distribution. Surge protection - 'lightning arrestors' - are used 11kv and above.

Google for Type 2 Surge protection, it's going to be bigger in future.
Dehn: <http://www.dehn.co.uk/pdb2/p/DE_EN_Web/680/33274/Familie-html/33274/DEH Nguard%C2%AE%20modular.html>
Hager: <http://www.hager.co.uk/products/energy-distribution/protection-devices/ surge-protection-devices/8028.htm>
Surge Devices <http://www.surgedevices.co.uk/

I obviously misunderstood you. I was talking about power distribution systems, not protection of electrical installations.
On 16/02/2013 18:36, A.Lee wrote:

Problem isn't very high voltage spikes, it is when one phase blows up there are surges in the remaining phases before they expire. No-one has had any expensive damage, mostly old style GLS lamp failures but I always disconnect anything electronic as a precaution if we are in when the power fails to minimise damage on start up.
Chris K
Chris K wrote:

I guess that any three-phase customers might have a few problems ;-)
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On 17/02/2013 08:22, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I was working in an office some years ago when 1/3 of the lights and PCs kept going off. It turned out to be a faulty cable in the street and they deposited a container sized generator there and connected up to that until they fixed it at the weekend.
SteveW

That is the perfect scenario for a Type 2 surge protection device at the incomer/consumer unit. If you are worried about losing plug-in equipment, a Type 3, socket outlet/extension lead, will protect that piece of equipment. Type 2 is preferable.

alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) writes:

Why? Are they beginning to worry about EMP?
--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@Nonetel.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 22:36:33 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

He's been quiet recently. I think crying wolf in my sig might have helped!
On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:35:47 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

If your comment is aimed at me, I have no idea what you're going on about. It's true I dropped out of NG posting for a while, that was a matter of choice.
On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 00:46:28 -0800, Broadland Wanderer wrote:

It wasn't aimed at you.....as you will realise....it's the guy who talks about the stuff in the last line of my sig.
On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 22:36:33 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

Is "serge protection" anything to do with wearing a traditional overcoat?
--
Frank Erskine

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:36:33 PM UTC, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I'm obliged to comment, I have no idea what you're on about. Except that you mangled w2hat I wrote