I've just had a flexible hose burst.

7 years old under the bath and connected to the hot tap. The braiding was completely corroded and the rubber pipe split. The flat below flooded.

I had no idea that there was an issue with these but can see from old posts that this is a common problem.

Now I have to try and think of all the other places/jobs where I have installed them.

A plumber has told me only to use WRAS approved, which the ones from Wickes are. Pretty sure the duff one came from Screwfix.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There's no room in my house for this junk. I ripped out all the ones I could find when I moved here and replaced them with conventional rigid copper pipes and unions.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Surprised at the corrosion, even the screwfix ones have stainless braid (and EPDM rubber, which should be good for decades on DHW).

The only place I have seen serious corrosion of stainless in a domestic situation is where there was an electrical current flow (from an "electric" damp proof course).

Reply to
newshound

I may have done Screwfix an injustice, I can't be certain that it came from there.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Yes, but there are many grades of stainless and I'm guessing they've used the cheapest. I replaced a set of garden gate hinges with zinc plated ones from BnQ back in the summer and they're already rusty all over.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I think that there are some things (like push-fit plumbing) that warrant regular inspection. If only for one's peace of mind :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

The only one that I have is the filling loop on the combi. There's little choice except permanent pipe, so I got a good 'n with a ball-valve at each end. I know, I could just take it off but I like the convenience and it also saves wear on the seals.

Reply to
PeterC

Very true, but in ambient temperature environments I'd say it was a serious failure if hose braiding had failed seriously. You get the odd rust spot on cheap stainless steel cutlery, presumably because the level of alloying elements is marginal, but this would not cause a structural failure.

Zinc plate:

IME the effectiveness of "zinc plating" on fasteners, hinges, etc. is very variable. But it usually still provides some improvement on mild steel, and the better ones are quite effective.

Reply to
newshound

The screwfix ones have galvanised wire. Mine are starting to rust, condensation forms on them The rubber pipe inside is thin and has no strength at all, it relies on the braided wire.

Reply to
harry

I had some issues with those alloy convoluted type bendable pipes some years ago where pin holes appeared. No flooding but all needed to be changed. A real pain. thus far no problems with the truly flexible kind. Maybe you were just unlucky? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The problem with that is modern sinks are quite thin and some flexing of the tap mounting is often enough to make copper pipes leak at the nearest join.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I use flexible tails with compression fittings for those.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom