I've just had a flexible hose burst.

I've just had a flexible hose burst. 7 years old under the bath and connected to the hot tap. The braiding was completely corroded and the rubber pipe split. The flat below flooded.
I had no idea that there was an issue with these but can see from old posts that this is a common problem.
Now I have to try and think of all the other places/jobs where I have installed them.
A plumber has told me only to use WRAS approved, which the ones from Wickes are. Pretty sure the duff one came from Screwfix.
On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 06:01:59 -0700, Rednadnerb wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There's no room in my house for this junk. I ripped out all the ones I could find when I moved here and replaced them with conventional rigid copper pipes and unions.
On Sun, 1 Oct 2017 13:29:21 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom wrote:

The only one that I have is the filling loop on the combi. There's little choice except permanent pipe, so I got a good 'n with a ball-valve at each end. I know, I could just take it off but I like the convenience and it also saves wear on the seals.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On Mon, 02 Oct 2017 08:47:54 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I use flexible tails with compression fittings for those.
On 01/10/2017 14:01, Rednadnerb wrote:

Surprised at the corrosion, even the screwfix ones have stainless braid (and EPDM rubber, which should be good for decades on DHW).
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hose-15mm-x-mm-x-300mm/72279?kpidr279&ds_rl 45250&gclidIaIQobChMI3d69s8bP1gIVbpPtCh127A-dEAQYASABEgKKG_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CL-XoLfGz9YCFU4S0wodJI4AZg
The only place I have seen serious corrosion of stainless in a domestic situation is where there was an electrical current flow (from an "electric" damp proof course).
I may have done Screwfix an injustice, I can't be certain that it came from there.
On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 14:45:16 +0100, newshound wrote:

Yes, but there are many grades of stainless and I'm guessing they've used the cheapest. I replaced a set of garden gate hinges with zinc plated ones from BnQ back in the summer and they're already rusty all over.
On 01/10/2017 14:55, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Stainless:
Very true, but in ambient temperature environments I'd say it was a serious failure if hose braiding had failed seriously. You get the odd rust spot on cheap stainless steel cutlery, presumably because the level of alloying elements is marginal, but this would not cause a structural failure.
Zinc plate:
IME the effectiveness of "zinc plating" on fasteners, hinges, etc. is very variable. But it usually still provides some improvement on mild steel, and the better ones are quite effective.
On Sunday, 1 October 2017 14:45:20 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

The screwfix ones have galvanised wire. Mine are starting to rust, condensation forms on them The rubber pipe inside is thin and has no strength at all, it relies on the braided wire.
Rednadnerb wrote:

I think that there are some things (like push-fit plumbing) that warrant regular inspection. If only for one's peace of mind :-)
I had some issues with those alloy convoluted type bendable pipes some years ago where pin holes appeared. No flooding but all needed to be changed. A real pain. thus far no problems with the truly flexible kind. Maybe you were just unlucky? Brian
--
----- -