OT: Onions from Australia! WTF!

I try to resist OT topics but had to vent after spotting that the onion I just chopped had been grown in Australia! It's hard to comprehend how it can make economic sense to ship an onion from Oz to UK, but it must do or it wouldn't happen. What's upsetting is that the environmental cost cannot have been taken into account. I suspect historians will look back with incredulity on this period (hard to define the start date) - unless we destroy ourselves first. I feel much better now ;-) A timely spur to get the veg plot into action.

Reply to
mailbin

ICBA to look it up now, but last time I did (some years ago) I was astonished at how low both shipping by container ship and air freight could be.

Reply to
newshound

It's probably those massive Chinese freighters that are making it so cheap to ship stuff around the world in the same way they seem to make

*everything* cheap. I'd like to know how long an onion keeps for in transit, though.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The environmental cost is likely negligible, unless it was air freighted.

Reply to
Huge

Easily >6 months if cured and chilled. My brother manages 6 months or more from his allotment without having chilled storage.

Reply to
Robin

snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Totally with you. I once complained to Sainsbury's tha tthe chicken in some of their ready meas came from Thailand. It got changed eventually.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The world is full of innumerates.

Reply to
Huge

They multiply like wabbits.

Reply to
Steve

Wots wrong with our onions ?

Reply to
FMurtz

We had onion soup for lunch. The onions had travelled ten yards from the garden.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Funnily enough (after watching "Captain Phillips") out of curiosity, I looked into how many containers a ship can carry, and how much it costs.

Headline is the largest ship on the water can carry 100,000 shipping containers (2-TEU ?) , and the cost of shipping is about $40/day ????)

either way, a shipping container *full* of small, high-value items (mobile phones) makes the shipping pennies per item.

As has been stated before, it's more expensive to move something from Dover to London, than from Kowlook (or wherever) to Dover ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

*someone* has to pick them ?
Reply to
Jethro_uk

Meat and butter used to travel from Oz and New Zealand without any problems before we joined the common market.

Reply to
Andrew

An excellent point we all too frequently overlook: our membership of the EU has caused foodstuffs to perish earlier than they otherwise would.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You try taking an onion into Australia ........

Reply to
Retro Futurist ...

Or bullfrogs! (wonder if anyone will spot the cultural origin of that?) ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

And someone has to pick them in Australia where you probably wouldn't be let in if you claimed you only job was going to be onion picking.

Reply to
alan_m

One of my nieces went to Oz.

She was unskilled but was let in on the condition that she spent 6 months on a farm doing menial work. She is still there years later.

Reply to
Nick

Hopefully for a nice bit of horse meat.

All that whinging and complaining when we had horse lasagne.

No one actually complained at the time that they were eating a horse. The complaints only started after they were told they had eaten a horse.

If it's got four legs and you can chop it into something small enough to fit the in oven then so what?

Reply to
ARW

probably once they found some cheaper chicken elsewhere.

Reply to
Andy Burns