OT: Onions from Australia! WTF!

Don't they also have problems with cane toads, rabbits, camels and cats?

Reply to
alan_m

apparently lots of things "taste like chicken"

Can't think why it's so difficult to get a chicken that tastes like chicken.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'm happy to buy horse if that's what it says it is. I object to having horse foisted on me which is labelled something else, especially if a cheaper meat is substituted for a dearer meat. The same with /Pangasius/ substituted for haddock.

Reply to
Max Demian

I grow my own onions. Plus virtually all other vegetables.

Reply to
harry

The really worrying aspect of that wasn't the meat but the lack of control. If something as major as that can get through, what else could have done so and been serious?

Reply to
PeterC

I suspect this the rush to have stuff even when its out of season.

I was rather interested in how you know it was Australian, one onion looks much like another to most people. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think they still do actually. However there does seem to be all sorts of odd places stuff comes from from Turkish cabbages to weird fruit I've never heard of.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Packed (fresh) food is marked with the country of origin. I assume these onions came in a pre-packed bag or net. In stores where they put out fruit and vegetables in the same trays they were delivered in the country of origin is also shown.

Reply to
alan_m

It probably had the rooty bit at the top and the sprouty bit at the bottom.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The ones I've seen had a ring of corks around them.

Reply to
Mark Allread

When you go to chop them, they say "that's not a knife"

Reply to
Andy Burns

*applause*

Since the lasagne "thing", I've been trying to buy horsemeat. Every butcher I've asked in has looked at me appalled.

Reply to
Huge

yeah and I bet the rise in sea level is due to all those massive ships floating about than climate change or global warming put together, you only have to get in the bath to see this effect ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

They were complaing because they paid for beef and got horse the cheapest horse too.

Why does it have to have 4 legs ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

I bet it was handled more carefully than the company that has been in the news recently (falsifying dates)

Reply to
Andrew

Which environmental cost though? Most onions we buy are shipped by lorry from Germany, Holland, Spain or Italy. Road transport has a high land use rate and contributes significantly to both poor air quality and noise in inhabited areas. Ships have very much less effect in all those areas of environmental impact.

Reply to
Nightjar

Horsemeat is very nice. Lots of flavour, cheaper than beef and as nice if not nicer. I've bought it on-line and delivered, but haven't had any for a while. These people do all sorts: horse, zebra, kangaroo, ostrich, venison, all very tasty, but avoid the buffalo, it was ten times tougher than old boots, even after stewing for several hours! There was a minimum value order when I bought stuff, but you can mix the meat types and it comes well packed in an insulated bag complete with freezer blocks.

Kezie Foods also sell a similar range of meats, but I've not tried them
You can occasionally find ostrich or kangaroo in our local supermarkets, Tesco? Lidl? can't remember.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Hence my point concerning innumeracy amongst those "virtue signalling" "green" standpoints.

Reply to
Huge

Most UK supermarkets sell dog meat!

Reply to
alan_m

I would like to complain that the fresh chicken pieces are half water.

Reply to
Max Demian