OT: Chemistry

Gentlemen,

I'm trying to find the correct term for this process. You sometimes hear chemists describe how they 'tweaked' a molecule by adding a benzine ring here, tacking on a hydroxyl radical there, removing an atom here, inverting a diatomic pair etc, etc. etc. In this way they can create and re-arrange molecules with different properties. I've tried googling 'chemical engineering' which struck me as a suitable term for it, but that just brings up loads of stuff about oil refineries, power stations and whatnot. So... what's the correct name for this terribly clever stuff?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

There are various well-known reactions which can be used to add or remove parts of a molecule. Examples are the Grignard reaction and the Friedel?Crafts reaction.

The whole topic comes under organic chemistry.

Reply to
Caecilius

Chemistry.

Reply to
Huge

Organic chemistry?

Reply to
mailbin

Organic chemistry is simply the chemistry of carbon compounds.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Ah well, A level chem was a looong time ago

Reply to
mailbin

Same here. Albeit way off topic, I've never known the regulars of UKDIY to fail to come up with an answer to obscure, non-relevant questions like this. If no one posts the correct term for this process, it'll be a first in my experience!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Molecular modelling?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

+1 See
Chris Hogg

Reply to
Andy Burns

And...

So the five shilling postal order goes to Andy and Chris Hogg. Well done, guys, I just knew someone would know!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

More goal directed, organic synthesis?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

They don't.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Bingo! That is the all-encompassing name for these various types of reactions and the term I was ultimately looking for. A ten shilling postal order is on its way!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Just to clarify, both these guys were right and pointed me to the correct, over-arching term (as confirmed by Roger.)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It's one of those things you have to think of for half an hour and then it comes to you in a flash.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Well, as I've observed before, there is a terrific range of knowledge here to be tapped into on all sorts of subjects. No question seems too arcane or obscure to find an answer for here.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well-spotted, sir! A postal order for 2/6d is on its way!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom