Flexible hose for hob

  1. Can anyone update me on the permissibility or otherwise of using a flexible hose for connecting up a replacement gas hob, please. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of room to work, so a flexible hose would be very useful. There is no oven under the hob, just pan drawers.

  1. Any particular type of flexible hose is best?

  2. It would be too much to hope that there are push-fit fittings for gas these days?

  1. Finally, the hob that has failed is a Bosch NCT635HEU. Would it be reasonable to hope that a replacement Bosch unit would just drop in the same hole with the gas fittings lining up? Existing gas pipe is at the back on the right hand side, facing the hob. I was thinking of the PCD685D which has the same size aperture as the existing hob, but I don't know whether the gas pipe is in the same position.

Sorry to ask so many questions without having contributed to the NG, but I tried googling for the answer without success.

Regards to Andy Hall if he still reads this NG.

Thanks for any help.

Geoff

Reply to
GB

I seem to recall that a flexible hose is allowed only if the hob is designed "for a temperature rise of less than 70 degrees C." ( BS 6172 - Specification for installation of domestic gas cooking appliances )

I suppose you would need to contact the manufacturers to see if they produce hobs that comply with that part of the standard...

Reply to
Coherers

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" Recommendations when using an appliance flexible connector are as follows. ...

1) The appliance flexible connector should not be subjected to undue forces either in normal use or whilst being connected or disconnected. 2) The appliance flexible connector should not be subjected to excessive heat by direct exposure to flue products or by contact with hot surfaces... 3) The socket into which the plug of the appliance flexible connector fits should be permanently attached to a firmly fixed gas installation pipe and positioned such that the appliance flexible connector hose hangs freely downwards (see Figure 2). The socket should be securely fixed to the wall by means of a backplate adaptor or suitable alternative. 4) The appliance flexible connector should be positioned such that it will not suffer mechanical damage, e.g. abrasion from the surrounding kitchen furniture which may be moved in use such as a drawer or door, or by being trapped by any stability device. 5) The plug-in-connector should be accessible for disconnection after moving the appliance. """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" So I think it should be OK, as long as the manufacturer's instructions don't say that you must not use a flexible connector.

The BS says: """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" Appliances which give a temperature rise greater than 70  C in areas likely to come in contact with the appliance flexible connector shall be connected by means of rigid pipework or other means compatible with the temperature specified by the appliance manufacturer. COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 7.4. If the appliance is not certified by a third party as being in accordance with BS 5386-3 or BS 5386-4 or EN 30, or is not labelled to indicate the surface temperature of the appliance, it should be connected by rigid pipework. Appliances which give a temperature rise greater than 70  C will have a note to this effect in the installation instructions. """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

As long as it's approved for the application

Yup (it is too much to hope :-)

I think the relevant rule here is Sod's Law ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles