boiler flexible oil connection

Hello,

I am connecting my new oil fired boiler to the oil line. This is in

10mm copper but there is a flexible line on the burner. There is nothing explicit in the instructions but am I right to think that the flexible line should not leave the boiler? I'm thinking the 10mm copper should go into the boiler and connect inside? I'm thinking the flexible line is only to enable you to withdraw the burner from the boiler for servicing, without having to disconnect the oil? Am I right?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen saying something like:

The flexible pipe normally leaves the burner housing and runs alongside the boiler to meet the 10mm pipe and is connected via a fire valve [1] but you can if you want, keep it entirely inside the boiler casing. Is it a kitchen (ie, cased) boiler?

You have got a new type of remote firevalve, haven't you?

[1] The old type of fire valve with the screw head and soldered link is now not allowed as the only firevalve, but it's good in this application as a joining piece and provides some extra peace of mind. Don't use it as a shutoff, though, as the thread strips.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ah, so we've moved on from the 60's, and my Grandmothers installation, with a spring-loaded valve and a length of string stretched trip-wire style across the cellar, holding the valve open? ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Graham." saying something like:

I came across an ancient one the other day with pretty much that - a length of wire run along the top of the burner with a fusible link in the middle, holding up a weight on top of the valve. It was a much newer boiler, but I reckon the original valve had been there for ~50 years.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes

I would have thought that this question would be answered in the installtion instructions.

On my previous boiler the flexible hose just connected to the copper pipe at the bottom of the boiler. There was no support or fixing to the boiler case.

On my current boiler there is a union on the boiler case. The flexible pipe attaches to the inside end of the union and the copper pipe to the outside end. I have a fire valve, filter and non return valve outside where the supply pipe enters the house.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Thanks for the replies.

It is a kitchen boiler.

To answer Michael's post, there was nothing in the instructions about where the flexible hose should/should not go. I have been frustrated with the lack of information about installation; I don't know if it's health and safety gone mad or some sort of plumber-protectionism to stop them losing work to DIYers!

I'm afraid I am still unsure whether the hose can leave the boiler or not. Your post says it can; Michael's says it cannot.

It's interesting you say that. I used to have an old style "gate valve" fire valve and when my plumber came to service the boiler he used that to isolate the oil. Thereafter it always leaked. Now I know why.

This time I went with a 65C peerless model with long capillary that clips above the boiler. I presume you run the capillary trying not to crush or bend it too much whilst making it as neat as possible and keeping out of the way of everything else?

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

That's a similar set-up to me, except I don't have a non-return valve. Should I have one? What's to point of it?

My oil line comes through a concrete floor in 10mm copper on the left hand side of the boiler. Outside, the line is (presumably) buried under my drive, so I was advised to put the fire valve inside, as soon as the pipe came through the floor. The problem is, there isn't much space on the LHS side of the boiler and I don't think it will be easy to get to the filter to service it.

If I put the fire valve on the LHS, could I run a metre or so of pipe around the back and along the RHS of the boiler so that I can put the filter on the RHS, where there is plenty of room? Should I put the isolating valve next to the fire valve or can that be moved next to the filter on the RHS?

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

My new boiler instructions said to install a non-return valve as I have a 2 pipe system.

According to my boiler instructions the filter can be inside or outside, but as close to the boiler (i.e.shortest pipe run I assume) as practical. You do need to be able to change the filter. This is normally done by undoing a nut at the bottom.

The installation instructions for the first boiler in my house (1970s?) said to locate the fire valve inside. I maintained this situation with my second boiler. For my new, now 2 year old boiler, I located the fire valve outside, but as part of the installation I also replaced the oil supply pipes. Everything that I have read since says that you should have the fire valve outside! I would be wary of not conforming to this requirement because of the perceived fire risk.

I just have isolating valves on the tank.

Reply to
Michael Chare