UK Telephones

I want a new phone point in my living room without trying to run an extension from the existing circuit.
Before I pay BT to install this new connection, is it possible to connect a second master socket to the incoming BT wireing? This would mean two maste sockets on the same input?
Thanks
Simon

Your question does not make sense.
1) Do you mean that you want a second phone line that is completely independent of the first, at the same point using the same incoming wires. A: Yes this is possible, but it is impossible for you to do this without paying BT's extortionate charge as it won't work unless they connect up their end. And having paid the fixed charge for the new line they will put it somewhere else for free.
2) Do you just want two phone connected to the same point to ring together. Yep you can do this yourself (though you might not be legally entitled to do it), but the second socked must not be a master socket, but a secondary socket (and to avoid you getting it wrong, it should be impossible to buy anything except secondary sockets at "sheds")
tim

<snip> [ re BT master sockets and their advalability ]

Why, what about matching the style of the master socket with the rest of the rooms electrical plates / fittings ?
Fitting is another thing all together, but restricting the sale of master sockets will just mean people fitting secondary's and leaving the phone plugged in all the time (and thus no fault will show up when the exchange self tests the line) - I would far prefer (in order of preference) someone to supply their own Master socket for BT to fit, the home owner messing around with BT wiring but at least using the correct fittings than the home owner messing around with the BT wiring and fitting the wrong components to boot ! :~( -- Jerry. Location - United Kingdom. In the first instance please reply to group, The quoted email address is a trash can for Spam only.

the
home
Also PABX's usually need master sockets as extensions so all my ones are masters but only the private exchange input is presented to the BT line
Andrew
Jerry. wrote:

Not to mention those of us who use PABX's on 2 wire systems that need a master per extension..

My BT masters just go straight into the PABX, I relocared the incoming BT line from the old house via a temporary connection in the portakabin to the new house, patched in some cat 5 and lengthened it to come down to where all the comms gear is. Despite the ISDN stuff being switched off for 18 months, no one at BT ever asked me why a home highway line was being used with a single POTS. Or noticed when it all reverted to ISDN 18 months later.
Otr have noticed indeed that the house it used to go to has been repalced with a different one.
I always make a pont of chatting to the BT contractors who come out to fiddle in the ducts that lie along the road, offering free coffee and biscuits. Sometimes they accept. One bloke who finished his schedule early een spent the afternoon stacking bricks for free - either in order to case the property for later, or possibly because he was bored and fancied a chat.
IME BT don't give a stuff unless it goes wrong and you call them in. THEN you may have to pay through the nose if they can claim you messed it all up.

Heh heh. So we're to be stuck with those horrible surface mounted BT master boxes?
--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:19:27 +0200, "tim"

That would be a bit hard to control.......
There are perfectly legitimate reasons for having multiple master sockets.
For example, for wiring extensions from a PABX. A lot of PABXs only have two wire connections for the extensions - I have a German manufactured one that is like this.
If you use a UK type phone, it won't ring if just connected with two wires. You can get PABX outlets which are basically a master socket (includes capacitor etc. but not protection components). Howver, these cost more than a master socket quite often and you can't get them to match the other wiring accessories in the room.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

You can clip out the varistor if you are worried.

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:04:13 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

What varistor? The componets of a master socket are: a PCB, a socket, a resistor, a capacitor and a gas filled surge arrestor.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Latest NTE-5 I think it's called is a bit more complex to simplify line test. Not sure if it has a varister though.
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:50:54 +0100, G&M wrote:

http://www.austin-taylor.co.uk/pages/nte5.htm
Doesn't seem to indicate anything other than the "normal" components.
Maybe you are getting confused with the replacement face plate for the NTE-5 that has an ADSL filter:
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Ah. The gas filled surge arrestor then :)

On 24 Apr 2004 03:48:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net (Simon) wrote:

It is possible but BT won't do it and will remove it if they come across it (and possibly charge you for doing so). The wiring up to the master socket is a BT responsibility.
There is nothing to stop you using a master as an extension so would it be possible to move the BT Master (you shouldn't really but if you do a competent job no one is going to be bothered) to where your new socket is going to be and then use just 2 and 5 to go from the new extension side using the old wiring to a replacement master socket where the BT one was?
--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.

Think DECT!

Wired phones don't get lost...
--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman wrote:

Or get thrown in the bin by a three year old. We didn't find out he'd done this until after bin day! :-) I can laugh now!
Tony
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:37:51 +0100, Tony wrote:

Or suffer flat batteries.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Hi,
Sounds like the master could be moved to where you were thinking of putting another master, then an extension socket put in where the master was. Then another extension could be run from the new location of the master if need be.
On most master sockets the faceplate can be unscrewed and unplugged, and there are extra IDC connections for connecting an extension. This saves using a doubler and looks neater.
cheers, Pete.

Just get a twin Dect cordless phones. Cost from under 40 from Argos, for example. You can even transfer calls between handsets.
Alec

<snip>
Err, what if (as mentioned in the OP's message) the OP wants the second phone socket, perhaps for a fax or computer etc. ? A cordless phone simply does not do the job ! Doh...