Sewer gas in the living room

I need some advice, on drain repair skills. Live in a three bedrom "mobile home".

When I run a lot of water in the kitchen, I get sewer gas smell in the living room. Ideas? I mean, other than "don't do that".

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Check your system venting. Also, all traps should be filled with water to work.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

If you're on septic tank, it needs pumping!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Clogged stack vent comes to mind. Also, the inactive side of the sink doesn't get the drain trap filled as often as it should.

I wonder why the smell is most intense in the living room, 20 feet away from the kitchen? Hmm. You know, I did drain the 90 percenter furnace into the drain line. But, I think the sewer smell predates the furnace replacement.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry, I neglected to mention. Public water, and public sewer. My bad. Ought to have mentioned that detail.

.

If you're on septic tank, it needs pumping!

Paul

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

See "ventless venting " in Google. It's common in mobile homes.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Perhaps there is a crack in the drain line caused by freezing. I've seen water collect in a PVC drain line that had a sag and expanding water cracked the pipe or and obstruction could have caused water to collect at one spot where it froze.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Public sewer, forgot to mention. Yes, I can get under the trailer, but won't do so till summer. It's been many years I've noticed this, no rush.

.

Can you get under the frame and see if the smell is coming from the ground or a hole in a drain pipe running under the living room?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Make certain the smell is 'sewer gas' and not water mold. I had a pipe drip leak inside the wall of my home, perhaps several years went by before the leak worsened enough to notice. And, WHEW! smelled EXACTLY like gray water, but was not. Just the mold from all that leakage smelled like it.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Spooky. The one time I was under the trailer, I found a length of the drain pipe from the kitchen was cut too long, and they had left it unconnected. I pulled the piece, maybe 24 inches long, and cut it to length, and then the fermo couplers would work. Wonder if there is another such cut?

.

Make certain the smell is 'sewer gas' and not water mold. I had a pipe drip leak inside the wall of my home, perhaps several years went by before the leak worsened enough to notice. And, WHEW! smelled EXACTLY like gray water, but was not. Just the mold from all that leakage smelled like it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had that problem once and replaced one of these and it went away.

RogerWilco

That's right. We have a triple-wide with three bedrooms and two baths. Only the toilet traps are vented to the roof and perhaps the tub and shower in the master bathroom. There are at least 5 of the ventless, spring loaded vents in the rest of the house. I replaced several when we moved in as they were sticking closed. I probably haven't found them all!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Do you have an indoor pet? Maybe they did a job in there under the couch or something!

Reply to
jw

So, I turn on the water in the sink, and a few minutes later, smell the cat terd under the sofa? But, the rest of the day I don't smell cat terd? Somehow, I don't think that's a likely answer.

.